Sep 20, 2011, 10:39 PM EST
The Phillies have dropped four games in a row, including a doubleheader sweep at the hands of the Nationals today. Big deal. Now here’s something to potentially worry about.
Pence left the first game of today’s doubleheader in the sixth inning with the injury, which Charlie Manuel said was the result of “sliding or something.” He was held out of the lineup for the second game, but downplayed the situation in comments to Salisbury, saying that the knee was “a little tight” and that they were “just trying to be smart.” The Phillies have already clinched their division and home field advantage, so they can afford to play it safe here, but we’ll soon learn if there is legitimate reason for concern.
Pence is batting .317/.386/.541 with nine home runs, 28 RBI and a .927 OPS over 47 games since being acquired from the Astros at the trade deadline.
UPDATE: Pence tells Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he has played with the injury all season and that he doesn’t believe it’s serious.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)