John Lackey: “I don’t know what the hell happened”

Sep 20, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Red Sox fans certainly weren’t shocked last night when John Lackey couldn’t get through five innings with 11 runs of support, but Lackey himself seemed plenty surprised:

I can’t explain it, man. That’s the best I’ve felt in the bullpen warming up all year. I don’t know what the hell happened. The first inning, I was definitely missing some locations, probably overthrowing it a little bit because I felt pretty good. After that, I mean, you’re going to have to go back and look at some of those pitches and look at what happened. Don’t just look at the line score.

I’m sure Lackey is incredibly frustrated about his season, but for a guy with a 6.49 ERA to say “don’t just look at the line score” after his 27th start of the year and suggest he was “overthrowing it a little bit because I felt pretty good” is tough to get behind, especially considering he stared down Terry Francona when the manager mercifully yanked him from the game while the Red Sox still had a lead.

Yesterday was the sixth time he’s failed to make it out of the fifth inning and the seventh time he’s allowed six or more runs, so how Lackey felt warming up in the bullpen probably doesn’t mean much at this point.

1. pjmitch - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

John Lackey: “I don’t know what the hell happened”

I do. You suck.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM

He sucks. And he padded his stats in the AL West. And he’s a sore loser. I could go on……

2. aceshigh11 - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM

This guy is such a walking disaster. The offense spotted him 11 runs and he could barely hold the lead.

Really sad…and just think, only three more years of his awesomeness.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Spending the money to buyout his contract would help the team more over the next three years then using it to pay this guy to pitch. Or maybe Theo could swindle the Cubs out of Garza? It seems their GM isn’t the brightest around…..

3. pisano - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM

“I don’t know what the hell happened”…. It’s the same thing that’s happened all year, YOU STINK!!! Between Lacking and Crawford it’s a wonder Theo has a job. They paid these two big money and they fall on their asses. Crawford, I believe just had a bad year, but with his speed he should be back to a .300 hitter in the future, but this other scumbag, no upper lip Lackey, he’s the second coming of AJ Burnett.Boston is stuck with this loser just as the Yankees are stuck with Burnett. Too bad, so sad.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I’m obviously no fan of Lackey’s pitching performance, but on what basis do you consider him a “scumbag”? That’s pretty harsh.

• pisano - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM

aceshigh11…… see seano21 second post and that should answer your question. While I don’t agree with his first post, but it seems many do, the second is balls on.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Lackey pitched in the AL West and therefore put up stats similar to AJ Burnett. When it came time to negotiate Theo had to pay Lackey what he was worth on paper if he wanted him at all. Show me a GM who has never made a signing that looked ok at the time but looks bad in hindsight

4. seano21 - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Amidst this epic collapse, I still hate each of the Red Sox equally. But, I think Might now be able to say Lackey is number one. This guy is absolutely pathetic and is washed up, but every god damn start he’s staring in at umpires and bitching about pitches that are a foot off the plate. He really is delusional if he hasn’t yet realized that he now just sucks. Francisco Cervelli even hit a Homerun off him, showed him up, then ate his 88mph fastball that tough guy John decided to toss his way. Give it up your washed up and your the worst pitcher in a rotation that still includes Tim Wakefield and Weiland

5. toosoxy - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM

This time he had no one to blame. Because we won. He usually pulls the poor offense card…
    Tim Wakefield still has game, seano21. But Weiland… yeah. Okay.

6. seano21 - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I’m just saying to be as bad as he is and to be out there begging for calls that aren’t close and showing up his manager is just disgraceful.

7. bigleagues - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I agree with Lackey. I don’t know how it happened either – that he was allowed to Start another game in this calendar year.

It really can’t happen again. I’m all for Alfredo Aceves moving into the rotation for the forseeable future – especially if Bedard doesn’t inspire confidence tonight.

8. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Would you rather have Lackey or AJ Burnett?

• pisano - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

That’s like asking if you’d rather take a 45cal. to the head or have your throat slit, it’s a no win situation.

• bigleagues - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM

LMFAO.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM

what shouldnt be forgotten here is Lackey still has 3 great years left on his current contract and i gotta be honest i really cant wait to see him show his stuff again next season. I keep having this dream where John is the starter in game 7 of the ALCS and Jenks is lurking in the bullpen ready to close.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Lacky has a nifty 1.000 OPS. Perhaps he missed his true calling.

All the trade deadline news to know