Sep 20, 2011, 8:45 PM EST
While Johnny Cueto didn’t rule out the possibility of returning last week, he confirmed to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com today that he will indeed miss the rest of the season with a strained right lat muscle.
Cueto was removed from his start last Wednesday against the Cubs due to the injury.
“I’m not throwing. I think I’m done,” Cueto said. “I talked to the doctor and said I wanted to throw. He said, ‘No.’ OK, I won’t. I feel good. No pain, no nothing. I’m great.”
Thanks to a revamped delivery reminiscent of Luis Tiant, the 25-year-old right-hander will finish the season with a 9-5 record to go along with a 2.35 ERA and 104/47 K/BB ratio over 24 starts. However, he only has 156 innings pitched, which means he will not qualify for the ERA title. Dodgers’ southpaw Clayton Kershaw currently ranks first in the NL with a 2.30 ERA over 218 2/3 innings.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)