Sep 20, 2011, 7:31 PM EST
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak confirmed that Matt Holliday was cleared to swing a bat off a tee this afternoon.
“Over the last 48 hours, we are a little more optimistic,” Mozeliak told the media this afternoon. “The easiest way to think about it is as a day-to-day progression. He’s been cleared to swing the bat.”
Holliday hasn’t played since last Tuesday due to inflammation in his right middle finger. Mozeliak said there has been some “reduction” in the inflammation, leading to increased “optimism” that he will be available at some point during the final week of the regular season.
Holliday, 31, is batting .295/.388/.528 with 22 home runs, 74 RBI and a .915 OPS over 503 plate appearances this season. Allen Craig will continue to play left field for now as the Cardinals attempt to keep their playoff hopes alive.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (188)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)