Sep 20, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak confirmed that Matt Holliday was cleared to swing a bat off a tee this afternoon.
“Over the last 48 hours, we are a little more optimistic,” Mozeliak told the media this afternoon. “The easiest way to think about it is as a day-to-day progression. He’s been cleared to swing the bat.”
Holliday hasn’t played since last Tuesday due to inflammation in his right middle finger. Mozeliak said there has been some “reduction” in the inflammation, leading to increased “optimism” that he will be available at some point during the final week of the regular season.
Holliday, 31, is batting .295/.388/.528 with 22 home runs, 74 RBI and a .915 OPS over 503 plate appearances this season. Allen Craig will continue to play left field for now as the Cardinals attempt to keep their playoff hopes alive.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 32
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 40
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)