Sep 20, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak confirmed that Matt Holliday was cleared to swing a bat off a tee this afternoon.
“Over the last 48 hours, we are a little more optimistic,” Mozeliak told the media this afternoon. “The easiest way to think about it is as a day-to-day progression. He’s been cleared to swing the bat.”
Holliday hasn’t played since last Tuesday due to inflammation in his right middle finger. Mozeliak said there has been some “reduction” in the inflammation, leading to increased “optimism” that he will be available at some point during the final week of the regular season.
Holliday, 31, is batting .295/.388/.528 with 22 home runs, 74 RBI and a .915 OPS over 503 plate appearances this season. Allen Craig will continue to play left field for now as the Cardinals attempt to keep their playoff hopes alive.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)