Sep 20, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors dug up an interesting article from February of 2010 in which ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark polled “20 baseball wise men” about which of that offseason’s free agent signings were the best. Their answer?
Well, so far they’ve been right about Holliday at least. Stark’s write-up of the poll is plenty interesting in retrospect too:
You might think the Red Sox needed another top-of-the-rotation type starter about as much as the U.S. Curling team needs another broom. But in truth, there’s no such thing as too many big-time starting pitchers. So, faced with a free-agent class that featured no hitters they felt comfortable turning into mega-millionaires, the Red Sox reeled in Lackey.
I really don’t mean to mock Stark, who was merely discussing the results of a poll he conducted and was hardly alone in those thoughts about the Red Sox and Lackey at the time, but the notion of Boston having too much rotation depth is sort of mind-boggling right now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)