Sep 20, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors dug up an interesting article from February of 2010 in which ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark polled “20 baseball wise men” about which of that offseason’s free agent signings were the best. Their answer?
Well, so far they’ve been right about Holliday at least. Stark’s write-up of the poll is plenty interesting in retrospect too:
You might think the Red Sox needed another top-of-the-rotation type starter about as much as the U.S. Curling team needs another broom. But in truth, there’s no such thing as too many big-time starting pitchers. So, faced with a free-agent class that featured no hitters they felt comfortable turning into mega-millionaires, the Red Sox reeled in Lackey.
I really don’t mean to mock Stark, who was merely discussing the results of a poll he conducted and was hardly alone in those thoughts about the Red Sox and Lackey at the time, but the notion of Boston having too much rotation depth is sort of mind-boggling right now.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (119)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights