Once upon a time “baseball wise men” really liked the John Lackey signing

Sep 20, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT

hindsight award

Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors dug up an interesting article from February of 2010 in which ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark polled “20 baseball wise men” about which of that offseason’s free agent signings were the best. Their answer?

1. John Lackey (5 years, $82.5 million)
2. Chone Figgins (4 years, $36 million)
3. Matt Holliday (7 years, $119 million)

Well, so far they’ve been right about Holliday at least. Stark’s write-up of the poll is plenty interesting in retrospect too:

You might think the Red Sox needed another top-of-the-rotation type starter about as much as the U.S. Curling team needs another broom. But in truth, there’s no such thing as too many big-time starting pitchers. So, faced with a free-agent class that featured no hitters they felt comfortable turning into mega-millionaires, the Red Sox reeled in Lackey.

I really don’t mean to mock Stark, who was merely discussing the results of a poll he conducted and was hardly alone in those thoughts about the Red Sox and Lackey at the time, but the notion of Boston having too much rotation depth is sort of mind-boggling right now.

1. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Aaron, I’m glad you brought up Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors. I never saw him referenced on this site before (unless I missed it). I don’t usually give independent websites too much credit, but Dierkes runs a GREAT website over there. During the trade deadline and hotstove periods, it’s the only site I go to on a daily basis for baseball info. Great website with great writers!

• The Common Man - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Co-sign.

• jwbiii - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Yup. Don’t agree with you much, but that is THE place to be on non-tender night, draft pick signing deadline night, trade deadline nights, and for lots of other good reasons.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM

You know what I appreciate about those guys at mlb trade rumors the most, besides the great knowledge and writing? They state the facts and rarely put an opinion out there. They are one of the most unbiased sites I have ever been on. And they cover every team equally. The team filters are great, too.

When I started going on their site maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I was curious about who Tim Dierkes. I youtube’d him and saw him in an interview with someone. He’s a really young guy. But, he put a great website together and hired some really good writers to assist him. I can’t say enough about that site.

2. toosoxy - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Yes, but at one time the world’s intellectual elite thought the world was flat, too.

• cktai - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Not sure what the point is dragging the Archaic Greeks in the conversation. Did any of their philosophers get attacked by their contemporaries when the Classical Greeks started proclaiming the world was round?

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Again, show me one GM who hasn’t made a good looking signing that turns disastrous in hindsight. My guess is you could live to be 1 000 and not come across any. All this “blame Theo” stuff is really stupid

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3978)