Sep 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen is going on a vacation to Spain with his wife two days after the regular season is over–presumably he planned it after Chicago fell out of contention–and he wants to know where he stands with the White Sox before he leaves.
Guillen is under contract for next season, but has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage on a one-year deal and as usual there’s plenty of speculation about whether general manager Ken Williams wants him back, period.
Here’s what Guillen told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:
The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I’m going to be is not about my future–it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.
Guillen putting pressure on the White Sox to make a decision suggests he’s probably pretty confident about immediately finding another managing gig if he’s let go, which isn’t surprising given how often he’s been linked to the Marlins over the years. But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)