Sep 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen is going on a vacation to Spain with his wife two days after the regular season is over–presumably he planned it after Chicago fell out of contention–and he wants to know where he stands with the White Sox before he leaves.
Guillen is under contract for next season, but has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage on a one-year deal and as usual there’s plenty of speculation about whether general manager Ken Williams wants him back, period.
Here’s what Guillen told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:
The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I’m going to be is not about my future–it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.
Guillen putting pressure on the White Sox to make a decision suggests he’s probably pretty confident about immediately finding another managing gig if he’s let go, which isn’t surprising given how often he’s been linked to the Marlins over the years. But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)