Sep 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen is going on a vacation to Spain with his wife two days after the regular season is over–presumably he planned it after Chicago fell out of contention–and he wants to know where he stands with the White Sox before he leaves.
Guillen is under contract for next season, but has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage on a one-year deal and as usual there’s plenty of speculation about whether general manager Ken Williams wants him back, period.
Here’s what Guillen told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:
The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I’m going to be is not about my future–it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.
Guillen putting pressure on the White Sox to make a decision suggests he’s probably pretty confident about immediately finding another managing gig if he’s let go, which isn’t surprising given how often he’s been linked to the Marlins over the years. But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)