Sep 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen is going on a vacation to Spain with his wife two days after the regular season is over–presumably he planned it after Chicago fell out of contention–and he wants to know where he stands with the White Sox before he leaves.
Guillen is under contract for next season, but has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage on a one-year deal and as usual there’s plenty of speculation about whether general manager Ken Williams wants him back, period.
Here’s what Guillen told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:
The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I’m going to be is not about my future–it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.
Guillen putting pressure on the White Sox to make a decision suggests he’s probably pretty confident about immediately finding another managing gig if he’s let go, which isn’t surprising given how often he’s been linked to the Marlins over the years. But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)