Sep 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen is going on a vacation to Spain with his wife two days after the regular season is over–presumably he planned it after Chicago fell out of contention–and he wants to know where he stands with the White Sox before he leaves.
Guillen is under contract for next season, but has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage on a one-year deal and as usual there’s plenty of speculation about whether general manager Ken Williams wants him back, period.
Here’s what Guillen told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:
The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I’m going to be is not about my future–it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.
Guillen putting pressure on the White Sox to make a decision suggests he’s probably pretty confident about immediately finding another managing gig if he’s let go, which isn’t surprising given how often he’s been linked to the Marlins over the years. But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (237)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)