Ozzie Guillen wants to know job status before taking vacation

Sep 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

ozzie guillen wine

Ozzie Guillen is going on a vacation to Spain with his wife two days after the regular season is over–presumably he planned it after Chicago fell out of contention–and he wants to know where he stands with the White Sox before he leaves.

Guillen is under contract for next season, but has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage on a one-year deal and as usual there’s plenty of speculation about whether general manager Ken Williams wants him back, period.

Here’s what Guillen told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:

The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I’m going to be is not about my future–it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.

Guillen putting pressure on the White Sox to make a decision suggests he’s probably pretty confident about immediately finding another managing gig if he’s let go, which isn’t surprising given how often he’s been linked to the Marlins over the years. But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM

“The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf’s) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here”

Pretty much a slap in the face to Ken Williams.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM

No, it’s not. Kenny said last week that he would not be the one making the decision and it would be Jerry making the decision on Ozzie’s fate. This post doesn’t state this but it was said last week.

2. Joe - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Does the wine taste better with the knowledge that you have a contract for next year, or does it taste better with the knowledge that you’ve just been fired (even though you’re going to get paid anyway)?

3. nategearhart - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

But that wine will surely taste even better if he knows the White Sox’s plans.

*whine*

4. stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Why can’t I every understand this guy? Can someone translate what the hell he just said?

• paperlions - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I nevery do either.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Hahahaha! Clever.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM

(4) thumbs down? Wow…tough crowd.

5. Detroit Michael - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM

If Guillen doesn’t want to manage in the last year of his contract, then he could have negotiated for a deal that doesn’t have a set term but whenever the White Sox do terminate the deal, they pay one year’s salary as severance. That of couse is NOT what Guillen agreed to when he signed the contract.

It is dishonorable for him to make a fuss now about the White Sox’ bargained-for right. If the White Sox want him to manage 2012 and not sign an extension, Guillen should suck it up and do it. Obviouisly, many other athletes do the same thing as Guillen, but that doesn’t make it right.

6. motorcitykitty80 - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Hey Ozzie – I wanna know if I will have a job to go to tomorrow… and if I don’t there is no cutesy little vacation to Spain waiting for me – so quitcha whining!!! Like the wine and cheese in your future – it’s getting old.

7. peed1 - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Leave God out of it. By the way, what does he mean by that?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM

That’s just it…he doesn’t even know what he means by that. I need a translation everytime the guy is interviewed. He makes no sense whatsoever. But he sure is entertaining.

8. pisano - Sep 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM

In the words of Hawk Harrelson: ” HE GONE “

9. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I feel like a Red Sox fan with appendicitis about this.

Final take away from World Series