Sep 20, 2011, 8:01 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Baggarly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy just said that Sandoval could require surgery on his left shoulder following the season.
8:01 PM: The Giants have won eight straight games to move to within 3 1/2 games of the Braves in the Wild Card race, but they’ll be without their hottest hitter tonight.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Pablo Sandoval will sit tonight against the Dodgers because he’s not able to swing right-handed. He is apparently still feeling the effects of a strained left shoulder suffered last month.
That means the Giants trot this out against Cy Young hopeful Clayton Kershaw tonight:
Good luck with that, Tim Lincecum.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 45
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 133
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (134)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)