Sep 20, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Baggarly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy just said that Sandoval could require surgery on his left shoulder following the season.
8:01 PM: The Giants have won eight straight games to move to within 3 1/2 games of the Braves in the Wild Card race, but they’ll be without their hottest hitter tonight.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Pablo Sandoval will sit tonight against the Dodgers because he’s not able to swing right-handed. He is apparently still feeling the effects of a strained left shoulder suffered last month.
That means the Giants trot this out against Cy Young hopeful Clayton Kershaw tonight:
Good luck with that, Tim Lincecum.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69