Phillies moving rookie Vance Worley to the bullpen for playoffs

Sep 20, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Vance Worley Getty Images

Last week manager Charlie Manuel hinted that the Phillies would move rookie Vance Worley to the bullpen for the playoffs and now Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the switch will likely take place following his start tomorrow.

Worley made it clear that he’d be fine with the move, but wanted some time to prepare for bullpen work, so the timing here would give him a chance to make a couple relief appearances in the final week.

Worley has been fantastic as a starter, going 11-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 108/40 K/BB ratio in 123 innings, but it’s unclear how much the Phillies will even need a fourth starter in the postseason behind Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels, and Manuel could opt to go with Roy Oswalt in that role anyway.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Is Worley a Rookie of the Year candidate in anyone’s eyes? I was thinking Kimbrel had it locked up, but if he struggles down the stretch, does Worley sneak in?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Freeman.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, but maybe Freeman and Kimbrel split some votes and Worley sneaks in? He is at worst third though, right? Anybody else I am missing?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I don’t know, Worley didn’t break any records like Kimbrel did. Although I’d value a SP over a closer myself, i’m afraid the whole breaking records thing is too shiny a lure for the voters to look past here. Throw Kimbrel at a major league club for 8 innings straight and I’d bet Worley comes out the better pitcher. But like I said, the voters like those “shiny” objects. But it’s got to be between the 3, yes.

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM

This is a topic in Philly that has been killed to death in the print and radio media. Worley or Oswalt, Oswalt or Worley. It never goes away. Ever.

• seanmk - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM

oswalt starts, worley to pen. worley has more flexiblity, he’s been a long man in the past, oswalt has not, and if experience matters to you, oswalt has it and worley doesn’t.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I don’t remember who said it, but they said it perfectly. “I’d rather see Oswalt need to be bailed out by Worley than the other way around.” That’s the favorable situation between the two anyway.

• mercyflush - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM

agreed.

3. crispybasil - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I prefer the “Lacey or Wakefield” debate.

• crispybasil - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Er, Lackey rather.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM

The Phillies line-up today is:
    Victorino, Valdez, Mayberry Jr., Pence, Francisco, Kratz, Orr, Martinez, KK

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM

That’s a linup that I see putting up 10 runs today.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Wow…two everyday starters…Shane and Pence. Amazing. Like HB said…watch them throw a 10 spot up against Detwiler(who???????)

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Kratz and Francisco are going to have big days.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I’m going to have tune in for this one, it would be interesting to see what Kratz does.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Not interested in what “Francisco (FC)” does FC :D

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I did mention the story behind my customized Phillies T-Shirt didn’t I? :)

5. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Did anybody just see that play Kratz just made? I’m telling you guys right now, this guy is better than Brian Schneider. That is more of a reflection on how bad Schneider has been this year.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM

But, but, but he has all those WINS…

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I got into with some guy on philly.com about that. He was attributing the wins to Schneider’s ability to call a game. I told him that was nonsense and that Schneider is below average in every facet of the game and the wins was a function of luck. He told me I was an idiot.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM

There are some isolated cases where a pitcher is more comfortable with certain catchers, but even then the pitcher has to execute. And these cases deal with catcher ERA. If pitcher wins is a flawed statistic where does that leave catcher wins?

6. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I thought Phillies TV broadcasters were bad… the Radio… is worse…

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Wheels is awesome.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

FC,

Are you saying Franzke and Anderson are bad?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

In comparison to Wheels they have to be.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Doctor,

Is that a joke? Is there something I’m unaware of? Please expound.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Let’s say I found the 15 minute conversation about what’s-his-name has Jr or not in his title with references to wikipedia while game calling being deferred as an afterthought to make for a very poor baseball game.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I like Chris Wheeler. I think he does an excellent job and takes unfair criticism from some Phillies fans. Anybody, in my opinion, fails in comparison.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Doctor,

I have stated before that I like Wheels’ in-depth analysis of the game as well. I don’t try to compare the TV guys to the radio guys. I will say this, though. I cannot stand Tom McCarthy. He can’t shut up. He’s constantly talking. Sarge is also annoying. He states the obvious too much.

Franzke and Anderson are great to listen to. They talk just the right amount and have a good chemistry together. Jim Jackson doing the middle inning annoys me too. He calls the game like he would a hockey game.

So, I like Wheels, Franzke and Anderson. The rest of them are useless.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Well their “Jr” shtick was wearing me down pretty quick and I was afraid it would be like this the whole game, the game calling seems to be improving now that they have moved beyond this nonsense.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

It’s like the pie and cake debate…you either love LA and Scott or you hate them. Same with Wheels. I can’t stand Wheels…and McCarthy isn’t all that great either…making the TV crew mutable while I listen to music during the games I watch. But when I listen to the radio, Scott and LA are very enjoyable and LA is not afraid to rip the Phillies or the umpires which is another trait that I love about the guy.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Pie and Wheels are equally awesome.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Wheeler speaks like everything is the world according to him. If he says it, it must be true.

Anyone who doesn’t know Wheels, check out this website

And go here for a good drinking game if you happen to be watching the Phillies and get the Philadelphia TV feed…

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Chris,

I just checked out that Chris Wheeler glossary website. Gotta be honest with you. Anyone that devotes that much time to creating a website with Chris Wheeler quotes needs to have their head examined. It’s kind of silly.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I think it’s freaking hilarious. And it is 100% spot on too.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I’ll be at the game tonight so I won’t have to hear “middle in” not even once.

7. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Listening to this game today is like watching paint dry. Through 5 innings no score. Phillies are fielding a minor league club today and Washington stinks. Watch this game go 15 innings today and run into tonights game.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, nothing exciting has happened at all. Unless somebody pops one, I don’t see how the Phillies are going to string enough hits together to score.

8. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Well, Pence has a noticeable limp. Time to sit him for several days.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, he strained his leg beating out an infield single. I think he’ll be fine.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I saw. Stayed in the game for another 5 innings. Did not look to be serious. Still no reason to take chances.

9. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM

What do you know, Schwimmer coming into the game and giving up hits.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM

And gives up a three run bomb. He sucks.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Another guy from AAA that has great numbers that can’t cut it in the majors. Say it isn’t so.

10. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Ibanez with a rocket shot to tie the game.

11. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuul. 3 run bomb. Thatta baby!!!!!!!!!

12. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM

:) :) :) :) :) :)

13. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I think we are going to have the MLB debut of Joe Savery.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Good call. He’s in there. LA is getting on the ump squeezing Savery with the strike zone.

Base hit given up on his first batter. Need a good inning for his confidence.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM

1 out recorded by Savery and Charlie has seen enough. Calling Lidge in. Uh oh!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM

He was getting squeezed big time. Orr could have made a better play on the single as well.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM

That was quick as Lidge comes in. Umm…would have let him pitch the inning.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Same here. Oh, well. I guess Charlie learned something from LaRussa in the last series.

14. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM

8 walkoff victories this year. Are we going to get a 9th?

15. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM

What do you know, Stutes comes in and sucks again.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Yep. If this continues, he becomes more of a non-factor. Worley will be in the bullpen, so that’s the only reassurance I can give you.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM

At this point I trust Lidge more than Stutes.

16. halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Utley walked intentionally. Ross Gload to the rescue?

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

LOL! Funny! Oh wait… you were serious…

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

No. Another loss. I guess that I should not care. :(

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Manuel doesn’t care. Washington was playing to win, evidenced by bringing in Zimmerman to get the crucial hit. He should have bunted to move the runner over. Then you bring in Schneider to pinch hit for Michael Martinez… say what? What’s the difference!?!? And then of course you bring in Gload. They’re basically mailing it in now.

17. 2roycliffcole - Sep 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Let’s hope the Phils can flip the switch once the playoffs start

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. V. Martinez (2428)