Sep 20, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Last week manager Charlie Manuel hinted that the Phillies would move rookie Vance Worley to the bullpen for the playoffs and now Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the switch will likely take place following his start tomorrow.
Worley made it clear that he’d be fine with the move, but wanted some time to prepare for bullpen work, so the timing here would give him a chance to make a couple relief appearances in the final week.
Worley has been fantastic as a starter, going 11-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 108/40 K/BB ratio in 123 innings, but it’s unclear how much the Phillies will even need a fourth starter in the postseason behind Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels, and Manuel could opt to go with Roy Oswalt in that role anyway.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 29
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 208
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (209)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)