Sep 20, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Last week manager Charlie Manuel hinted that the Phillies would move rookie Vance Worley to the bullpen for the playoffs and now Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the switch will likely take place following his start tomorrow.
Worley made it clear that he’d be fine with the move, but wanted some time to prepare for bullpen work, so the timing here would give him a chance to make a couple relief appearances in the final week.
Worley has been fantastic as a starter, going 11-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 108/40 K/BB ratio in 123 innings, but it’s unclear how much the Phillies will even need a fourth starter in the postseason behind Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels, and Manuel could opt to go with Roy Oswalt in that role anyway.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 36
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)