Sep 20, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Last week manager Charlie Manuel hinted that the Phillies would move rookie Vance Worley to the bullpen for the playoffs and now Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the switch will likely take place following his start tomorrow.
Worley made it clear that he’d be fine with the move, but wanted some time to prepare for bullpen work, so the timing here would give him a chance to make a couple relief appearances in the final week.
Worley has been fantastic as a starter, going 11-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 108/40 K/BB ratio in 123 innings, but it’s unclear how much the Phillies will even need a fourth starter in the postseason behind Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels, and Manuel could opt to go with Roy Oswalt in that role anyway.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)