Sep 20, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the Athletics and manager Bob Melvin have reached agreement on a three-year contract extension, effectively removing the interim tag.
Nothing official from the team yet, but they are expected to make an announcement the coming days.
Melvin, 49, took over as interim manager after Bob Geren was fired amid a nine-game losing streak in early June.
Entering tonight’s action, Melvin has a 42-48 record as the Oakland skipper. The Athletics sit at 69-84 on the season and in third place in the American League West.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)