Sep 20, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the Athletics and manager Bob Melvin have reached agreement on a three-year contract extension, effectively removing the interim tag.
Nothing official from the team yet, but they are expected to make an announcement the coming days.
Melvin, 49, took over as interim manager after Bob Geren was fired amid a nine-game losing streak in early June.
Entering tonight’s action, Melvin has a 42-48 record as the Oakland skipper. The Athletics sit at 69-84 on the season and in third place in the American League West.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39