Sep 20, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the Athletics and manager Bob Melvin have reached agreement on a three-year contract extension, effectively removing the interim tag.
Nothing official from the team yet, but they are expected to make an announcement the coming days.
Melvin, 49, took over as interim manager after Bob Geren was fired amid a nine-game losing streak in early June.
Entering tonight’s action, Melvin has a 42-48 record as the Oakland skipper. The Athletics sit at 69-84 on the season and in third place in the American League West.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 40
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (140)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)