Sep 20, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the Athletics and manager Bob Melvin have reached agreement on a three-year contract extension, effectively removing the interim tag.
Nothing official from the team yet, but they are expected to make an announcement the coming days.
Melvin, 49, took over as interim manager after Bob Geren was fired amid a nine-game losing streak in early June.
Entering tonight’s action, Melvin has a 42-48 record as the Oakland skipper. The Athletics sit at 69-84 on the season and in third place in the American League West.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)