Sep 20, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the Athletics and manager Bob Melvin have reached agreement on a three-year contract extension, effectively removing the interim tag.
Nothing official from the team yet, but they are expected to make an announcement the coming days.
Melvin, 49, took over as interim manager after Bob Geren was fired amid a nine-game losing streak in early June.
Entering tonight’s action, Melvin has a 42-48 record as the Oakland skipper. The Athletics sit at 69-84 on the season and in third place in the American League West.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 47
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)