Stephen Strasburg set to make final start of season Friday

Sep 20, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT

Strasburg throws a pitch against the Florida Marlins during the first inning of their MLB National League baseball game in Washington Reuters

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post lays out the Nationals’ pitching plans for the remainder of the season and it looks like Stephen Strasburg‘s fourth and final start will come Friday against the Braves.

If he stayed on a normal rest schedule Strasburg would then be lined up to start the season finale on September 28, but according to Kilgore the Nationals will probably go with Brad Peacock instead.

Because the 162nd game is on the road there’s no temptation for the Nationals to let Strasburg send the fans off with a good memory of 2011, but right now the rotation plans are merely in pencil anyway.

Through three starts Strasburg has a 1.29 ERA and 11/0 K/BB ratio in 14 innings while averaging 95.9 miles per hour with his fastball. He’s been limited to around 60 pitches in all three outings as he builds back arm strength following Tommy John elbow surgery 12 months ago.

1. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Great. The Braves are having a hard time hitting the run-of-the-mill guys during this slide. Not sure I want to watch this one…

But I will. Division rival or not, Straus is just plain fun to watch.

• stinkfist5 - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM

…especially when he’s on your fantasy team, just in time for the championship run.

• Bill - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I’ll be at the game. Probably weeping, gnashing my teeth, and cursing the Gods who have foresaken us, but there nevertheless. I’m thinking about preparing some sort of animal sacrifice in the grandstands to appease the obviously angry deities. I’m sure the facilities staff at Nats Park will accomodate this, no? It won’t be noticeably messier than your average all-the-way halfsmoke from Ben’s, and it won’t smell nearly as bad.

Of course, the last time I rooted for Atlanta from the Nats Park nosebleeds, my view was obstructed by fans cheering run after run for the home team, courtesy of Derek Lowe. So … Maybe I’m the reason the Braves have such terrible luck in DC?

• natstowngreg - Sep 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I will be there Friday and Sunday, weather permitting (probably, weather not permitting, since this is the Nats’ last homestand). Cheering for another fine Strasburg performance and hoping the Nats can spoil the Braves’ chances, as they did the Mets’ chances in ’07.

There are a couple of BBQ stands behind the scoreboard. Perhaps one of them could help you with the sacrifice. Not that I approve of such practices, of course.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM

In fact, maybe we can arrange our rotation so that Lowe starts this one. That way Hudson’s next possible gem isn’t wasted and Lowe’s next possible clunker wont hurt us as much.

• Bill - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Given our record of futility against crappy pitchers this year, I’m calling this right now: Chien-Ming Wang throws a no-hitter on Saturday. Mark it down.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Wow I hope you are wrong. But there is the distinct possibility you could be correct sir.

I read your last post that you are a Braves fan living in the DC area. I used to myself and loved taking the kids to RFK to watch the Braves play when they were in town. However, we moved from the area in 2006 and I never got a chance to see the new park. So it warms my heart that it is not MY fault the Braves don’t win there…

2. natstowngreg - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Actually, the season-ender at the Fish will be game #161. The September 7 home game vs. the Dodgers was rained out (twice), and will not be played.

No doubt, the Fish front office is disappointed. They can’t have Strasburg for the grand celebration of their last game at the football stadium of many names. It does make me curious, though. If the stadium was so bad for baseball, what is the point of celebrating it? Or, is the real point to celebrate that the Fish don’t have to play there anymore?

3. jimbo1949 - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I thought the theory behind giving him as many starts as possible this year was to stretch him out for next year?
    Wonder how they’re going to tweak the schedule (rest days) so he pitches exclusively in DC next year?
    /sarcasm?

4. tcostant - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

For the record that will be the 161st game; a prior Nationals-Dodgers rain will not be made up.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto