Sep 20, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
David Pinto flagged this Jim Donaldson post over at the Projo Sox blog. After detailing the failings of John Lackey, he lets this point rip, building on a comment Buck Showalter made last spring about the Red Sox’ payroll advantages:
Showalter had a very good point — it would, indeed, be interesting to see how smart Theo would be with the Tampa Bay payroll. And how smart are the Cubs, who supposedly are interested in bringing Epstein to the Windy City to throw around their major-market money?
To sum up: the GM who has given the Red Sox it’s greatest era of success in a century if not ever is all hat and no cattle and it would be a big mistake for the Chicago Cubs — the Cubs! — to try to hire him. And we know this because Buck freakin’ Showalter says so.
Personally, I’d love to hear how upset Cubs fans would be if Epstein were allowed to ruin their team the way he has ruined the Red Sox. I bet they’d have a different take on it.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 9
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 34
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)