The triple-A national championship game is tonight

Sep 20, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

ABQ stadium

You’re likely not aware of this because hardly anyone pays attention to triple-A baseball beyond what it means for the prospects of the big league teams, but tonight is the triple-A national championship game. Squaring off: my hometown Columbus Clippers — the defending triple-A champs — against the Omaha Storm Chasers.  Yeah, they really stuck with that name. I was rather shocked to be honest.

The format is weird for baseball — it’s a one-game, winner-take-all kind of thing — but it’s probably asking too much for a neutral site to fill a ballpark up seven times for minor league baseball. That neutral site is Albuquerque this year. After spending several years in a single location it rotates year-by-year now.  I can’t think of what else I’d rather do if I were in Albuquerque this evening.

Mitch Talbot gets the start for Columbus.  Sean O’Sullivan goes for Omaha. As is obviously the case with minor league baseball — especially triple-A baseball — there are a lot of guys here who weren’t on the teams during the regular season and vice-versa.  No Eric Hosmer or Mike Moustakas, for example. And each team has some ringers. Kila Ka’aihue is one for the Chasers. Nick Johnson for the Clippers. Yes, he’s healthy.

The game will be televised on Versus starting tonight at 8PM.  Yes, I would be writing about this even if I didn’t work for the company that owns Versus. Columbus represent, ya dig?

1. Flounder - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM

The Storm Chasers thing has gone over surprisingly well here. Much better than the last attempt to rename the O-Royals (Golden Spikes? Really?). Also, brand new ballpark that doesn’t look completely empty every night seems to have helped the team a lot. In any case, good to see them doing well.

Go Chasers!

• sportsdrenched.com - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I ordered a Chasers lid because I’m a weather geek and my favorite sport is baseball. The lid in question has a bat and call caught up in a tornado. How could I not have that lid? And I’ve never been to Omaha.

It just so happens I’m a Royals fan. I don’t get why the Chasers get so much crap for their name. Look at their competition. The Isotopes? Mud Hens? Sounds? Just another goofy name in a league of goofy names.

Sean O’Sullivan is pitching in at higher altitude? Oh Lord.

But, Go Chasers I say!

• antlerclaws - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Let’s not forget the Flying Squirrels, River Cats, and Sky Sox. Sadly, the Portland Beavers are gone.

2. natstowngreg - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM

As a native of Buffalo Bisons and Rochester Red Wings territory, gotta root for the IL team.

Go Clippers!

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM

“Neutral” site? Whoever bats 2nd has a distinct advantage. This dynamic is what makes 1 game playoffs – tiebreakers ridiculous.

4. Detroit Michael - Sep 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Kila is a ringer? I thought he did his best to show that his talent level was suitable for AAA, not the majors, this year.

5. Chris St. John - Sep 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I will be at this game, wearing an expos hat and a data shirt where the first “a” is a heart.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet