Sep 20, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
You’re likely not aware of this because hardly anyone pays attention to triple-A baseball beyond what it means for the prospects of the big league teams, but tonight is the triple-A national championship game. Squaring off: my hometown Columbus Clippers — the defending triple-A champs — against the Omaha Storm Chasers. Yeah, they really stuck with that name. I was rather shocked to be honest.
The format is weird for baseball — it’s a one-game, winner-take-all kind of thing — but it’s probably asking too much for a neutral site to fill a ballpark up seven times for minor league baseball. That neutral site is Albuquerque this year. After spending several years in a single location it rotates year-by-year now. I can’t think of what else I’d rather do if I were in Albuquerque this evening.
Mitch Talbot gets the start for Columbus. Sean O’Sullivan goes for Omaha. As is obviously the case with minor league baseball — especially triple-A baseball — there are a lot of guys here who weren’t on the teams during the regular season and vice-versa. No Eric Hosmer or Mike Moustakas, for example. And each team has some ringers. Kila Ka’aihue is one for the Chasers. Nick Johnson for the Clippers. Yes, he’s healthy.
The game will be televised on Versus starting tonight at 8PM. Yes, I would be writing about this even if I didn’t work for the company that owns Versus. Columbus represent, ya dig?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)