Sep 20, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
You’re likely not aware of this because hardly anyone pays attention to triple-A baseball beyond what it means for the prospects of the big league teams, but tonight is the triple-A national championship game. Squaring off: my hometown Columbus Clippers — the defending triple-A champs — against the Omaha Storm Chasers. Yeah, they really stuck with that name. I was rather shocked to be honest.
The format is weird for baseball — it’s a one-game, winner-take-all kind of thing — but it’s probably asking too much for a neutral site to fill a ballpark up seven times for minor league baseball. That neutral site is Albuquerque this year. After spending several years in a single location it rotates year-by-year now. I can’t think of what else I’d rather do if I were in Albuquerque this evening.
Mitch Talbot gets the start for Columbus. Sean O’Sullivan goes for Omaha. As is obviously the case with minor league baseball — especially triple-A baseball — there are a lot of guys here who weren’t on the teams during the regular season and vice-versa. No Eric Hosmer or Mike Moustakas, for example. And each team has some ringers. Kila Ka’aihue is one for the Chasers. Nick Johnson for the Clippers. Yes, he’s healthy.
The game will be televised on Versus starting tonight at 8PM. Yes, I would be writing about this even if I didn’t work for the company that owns Versus. Columbus represent, ya dig?
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)