Sep 21, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Aramis Ramirez has been making quite a few headlines as he nears free agency.
Last week he told reporters he’ll be seeking a two- or three-year deal on the open market, earlier this week reports pegged the Marlins as one of his likely suitors, and last night the 34-year-old third baseman told Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com that he doesn’t expect to re-sign with the Cubs.
Right now, I don’t know what’s going to happen. But it looks like I’m going to hit the market. I don’t know what they want to do. We don’t have a GM, so I don’t know who you talk to. I think we’re ready to move on.
Ramirez left yesterday’s game with a quadriceps injury, so he may have played his final game at Wrigley Field as a member of the Cubs.
As a 34-year-old who probably should be playing first base Ramirez is unlikely to get another contract like his current five-year, $75 million deal, but he’ll be one of the best hitters on the market and has posted an OPS above .850 for the seventh time in the past eight years.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)