Sep 21, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Aramis Ramirez has been making quite a few headlines as he nears free agency.
Last week he told reporters he’ll be seeking a two- or three-year deal on the open market, earlier this week reports pegged the Marlins as one of his likely suitors, and last night the 34-year-old third baseman told Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com that he doesn’t expect to re-sign with the Cubs.
Right now, I don’t know what’s going to happen. But it looks like I’m going to hit the market. I don’t know what they want to do. We don’t have a GM, so I don’t know who you talk to. I think we’re ready to move on.
Ramirez left yesterday’s game with a quadriceps injury, so he may have played his final game at Wrigley Field as a member of the Cubs.
As a 34-year-old who probably should be playing first base Ramirez is unlikely to get another contract like his current five-year, $75 million deal, but he’ll be one of the best hitters on the market and has posted an OPS above .850 for the seventh time in the past eight years.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 11
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 14
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (99)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)