Brandon Phillips on free agency: “no homeboy hookup”

Sep 21, 2011, 8:08 PM EST

phillips getty square Getty Images

Reds GM Walt Jocketty announced Wednesday morning that he plans to exercise Brandon Phillips‘ $12 million club option for the 2012 season. But what happens after that? Will the All-Star second baseman be allowed to hit the free agent market?

Our guess, based off Phillips’ comments Wednesday afternoon to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon, is yes.

“This is my last contract,” Phillips said. “There is no homeboy hookup. I just want to be paid what I am worth.”

Phillips is one of the best defensive second basemen in the major leagues and has posted a .294/.346/.452 batting line with 18 home runs and 81 RBI in 144 games this season, so “what I am worth” is likely to be a hefty sum. The Reds are far from broke, but their payroll typically ranks in the bottom half among baseball’s 30 franchises. If Phillips is not going to be giving the small-market club a hometown (er, “homeboy”) discount, there’s a good chance Cincinnati will be outbid.

1. paperlions - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Phillips is gone after next year. Votto soon after that…ouch.

2. stinkfist5 - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Why can’t he speak like a normal person? I thought he was saying he wasn’t going to play with a buddy or something along those lines…Some people…

• paperlions - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I’m sure the English wonder the same thing about all Americans.

Do we really need to go through the idiosyncrasies of all US dialects to determine what you find acceptable and what you do not?

• gogigantos - Sep 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I know I wonder about the Brits and their grasp of the language often enough. I know they can’t really understand each other too well just across neighborhoods sometimes.

• gogigantos - Sep 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

never mind across and ocean

• baccards - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM

yessirreebob, all ya’ll need to have learn them ignerant talkers to speak English as good as me

3. pipkin42 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Buyer beware – Phillips Will be in his age-32 season in 2013. Bad age for a middle infielder.

Can’t wait for the Orioles to give him a 4-year deal.

4. goldensombrero3000 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Street Cred.

• nolanwiffle - Sep 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

….or maybe it’s just society.

5. bigleagues - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM

One of the greatest “show me the money” rephrasings I’ve ever heard!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4396)