Sep 21, 2011, 8:08 PM EDT
Reds GM Walt Jocketty announced Wednesday morning that he plans to exercise Brandon Phillips‘ $12 million club option for the 2012 season. But what happens after that? Will the All-Star second baseman be allowed to hit the free agent market?
Our guess, based off Phillips’ comments Wednesday afternoon to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon, is yes.
“This is my last contract,” Phillips said. “There is no homeboy hookup. I just want to be paid what I am worth.”
Phillips is one of the best defensive second basemen in the major leagues and has posted a .294/.346/.452 batting line with 18 home runs and 81 RBI in 144 games this season, so “what I am worth” is likely to be a hefty sum. The Reds are far from broke, but their payroll typically ranks in the bottom half among baseball’s 30 franchises. If Phillips is not going to be giving the small-market club a hometown (er, “homeboy”) discount, there’s a good chance Cincinnati will be outbid.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (118)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)