Sep 21, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT
His belief that the Baseball Gods have forsaken the Braves and his losing a grounder in the lights on Monday notwithstanding, Chipper Jones has been really damn useful lately. In September he’s hitting .309/.372/.529 and has been one of the few bright spots for a skidding Braves team. This kid may make something of himself in this game one day.
But tonight he’s absent. Jones has gotten leave to be away from the team due to his son having to undergo a surgical procedure. I would assume it’s not terribly serious because he’s expected to rejoin the team for Friday’s game against the Nationals.
Martin Prado will play third base. The Braves are also without Alex Gonzalez due to a strained right calf, so he’ll be replaced by Jack Wilson at short, giving Atlanta a new look left side of the infield.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 53
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)