Sep 21, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT
His belief that the Baseball Gods have forsaken the Braves and his losing a grounder in the lights on Monday notwithstanding, Chipper Jones has been really damn useful lately. In September he’s hitting .309/.372/.529 and has been one of the few bright spots for a skidding Braves team. This kid may make something of himself in this game one day.
But tonight he’s absent. Jones has gotten leave to be away from the team due to his son having to undergo a surgical procedure. I would assume it’s not terribly serious because he’s expected to rejoin the team for Friday’s game against the Nationals.
Martin Prado will play third base. The Braves are also without Alex Gonzalez due to a strained right calf, so he’ll be replaced by Jack Wilson at short, giving Atlanta a new look left side of the infield.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)