Sep 21, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT
His belief that the Baseball Gods have forsaken the Braves and his losing a grounder in the lights on Monday notwithstanding, Chipper Jones has been really damn useful lately. In September he’s hitting .309/.372/.529 and has been one of the few bright spots for a skidding Braves team. This kid may make something of himself in this game one day.
But tonight he’s absent. Jones has gotten leave to be away from the team due to his son having to undergo a surgical procedure. I would assume it’s not terribly serious because he’s expected to rejoin the team for Friday’s game against the Nationals.
Martin Prado will play third base. The Braves are also without Alex Gonzalez due to a strained right calf, so he’ll be replaced by Jack Wilson at short, giving Atlanta a new look left side of the infield.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 1
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 9
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 35
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)