Sep 21, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
Clayton Kershaw has 20 wins this year. Five of them have come against the arch-rival Giants. Four of them have come when Tim Lincecum was going for San Francisco. In short, he has crushed his enemies, has seen them driven before him, and has heard the lamentation of their women.
Last night was no different. He allowed one run on six hits over seven and a third. He has done his fair share to stay in — and maybe take a slight lead — in the three-man race for the NL Cy Young award. Yes, his 2.27 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 242/53 K/BB ratio in 226 innings keeps him very close to Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee, but his 20 wins on a weak team may give voters something to grab onto in the near-impossible task of differentiating these guys.
As for Lincecum, he has had quite a bad bit of luck this year. Against Kershaw this season he has an 0-3 record, but a 1.24 ERA. Someone may look at his 13-13 record and ask “what’s wrong with Timmy,” but the first thing that needs to be said about that is that Lincecum got zero or one run of support in 11 of those losses. Overall he’s been a better pitcher this year than he was last year.
The wins just tell a different story. One that says more about the Giants’ offense — and a man named Kershaw — than they do about Lincecum himself.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)