Sep 21, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
His odds of re-signing with the Dodgers were probably slim already, but Don Mattingly made it very clear yesterday that he doesn’t want Broxton back for 2012, telling Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles that he wouldn’t recommend re-signing the once dominant closer:
It’s hard to encourage anything at this point. We don’t know anything. Anybody who signs Brox at this point … they will look at his medical records and look at his past, and it’s a risk/reward thing. It’s not really the kind of season you want to be coming off of.
Mattingly is right, of course, but managers aren’t usually that candid about impending free agents who’re technically still on the team.
Broxton earned $4 million last season and $7 million this year, but he hasn’t been effective and healthy since early 2010 and his average fastball velocity has dipped from 97.8 miles per hour to 95.3 mph to 94.1 mph in the past three seasons.
Cleaning up the bone spurs in his elbow will hopefully help Broxton reclaim that lost velocity and get back on track as a dominant late-inning reliever, but he’ll likely have to settle for an incentive-laden one-year contract with a team other than the Dodgers.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 33
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)