Sep 21, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Tomlin was placed on the disabled list near the end of August with a strained throwing elbow. The right-hander has made significant progress since, and even threw a successful simulated game on Wednesday afternoon, but the out-of-contention Indians don’t want to push it and risk re-injury.
Tomlin, 26, posted a 4.25 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 89/21 K/BB ratio across 165 1/3 innings (26 starts) this season for the second-place Tribe. Mitch Talbot will be promoted on Saturday to take his place.
Tomlin, still a pre-arbitration player, is obviously a lock for a starting rotation spot in 2012.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)