Sep 21, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Tomlin was placed on the disabled list near the end of August with a strained throwing elbow. The right-hander has made significant progress since, and even threw a successful simulated game on Wednesday afternoon, but the out-of-contention Indians don’t want to push it and risk re-injury.
Tomlin, 26, posted a 4.25 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 89/21 K/BB ratio across 165 1/3 innings (26 starts) this season for the second-place Tribe. Mitch Talbot will be promoted on Saturday to take his place.
Tomlin, still a pre-arbitration player, is obviously a lock for a starting rotation spot in 2012.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)