Sep 21, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Tomlin was placed on the disabled list near the end of August with a strained throwing elbow. The right-hander has made significant progress since, and even threw a successful simulated game on Wednesday afternoon, but the out-of-contention Indians don’t want to push it and risk re-injury.
Tomlin, 26, posted a 4.25 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 89/21 K/BB ratio across 165 1/3 innings (26 starts) this season for the second-place Tribe. Mitch Talbot will be promoted on Saturday to take his place.
Tomlin, still a pre-arbitration player, is obviously a lock for a starting rotation spot in 2012.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)