Sep 21, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Tomlin was placed on the disabled list near the end of August with a strained throwing elbow. The right-hander has made significant progress since, and even threw a successful simulated game on Wednesday afternoon, but the out-of-contention Indians don’t want to push it and risk re-injury.
Tomlin, 26, posted a 4.25 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 89/21 K/BB ratio across 165 1/3 innings (26 starts) this season for the second-place Tribe. Mitch Talbot will be promoted on Saturday to take his place.
Tomlin, still a pre-arbitration player, is obviously a lock for a starting rotation spot in 2012.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)