Sep 21, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Tomlin was placed on the disabled list near the end of August with a strained throwing elbow. The right-hander has made significant progress since, and even threw a successful simulated game on Wednesday afternoon, but the out-of-contention Indians don’t want to push it and risk re-injury.
Tomlin, 26, posted a 4.25 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 89/21 K/BB ratio across 165 1/3 innings (26 starts) this season for the second-place Tribe. Mitch Talbot will be promoted on Saturday to take his place.
Tomlin, still a pre-arbitration player, is obviously a lock for a starting rotation spot in 2012.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)