Javy Vazquez may retire after this year

Sep 21, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT

Javier Vazquez AP

Javier Vazquez has had a fantastic second half for the Marlins. So fantastic that I’ve used the “who is going to get suckered into signing him to a big contract” joke at least twice in the past two weeks. Three if you count that one.  But Vazquez himself may very well have different ideas.  According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, Vazquez may very well pack it up and head home to Puerto Rico for a nice early retirement:

“Most of the players play until [someone] takes their uniforms off. For me, it’s not the way it should be. I love my family and I love my kids, and I want to be there with them. I want to see them growing up. And if I don’t, when I’m 50, I’m going to regret that, and I don’t want to regret that. I’ve seen it too many times.”

And then, for the line that coincided almost perfectly with an apparent dust storm here in my den, Vazquez mentioned that his children are “old enough to cry because I’m not there.”

The guy has made around $92 million in his career. He’s pitched some fantastic baseball for most of that time but is rarely appreciated for that as much as he has been for a couple short stretches when he didn’t. He loves his family and loves his kids. He wore a Montreal Expos jersey for a long time.  If he truly wants to retire now, let no man say that he hasn’t earned the right to do it.

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

cc: Jorge Posada

2. sparkycon - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Please retire before the Yankees trade for you again…..

3. nategearhart - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Good for him. I’ve always liked Vazquez, and thought he got a bad rap. Yeah, he’s been kind of inconsistent over his career, but 2500 K’s in 14 years is nothing to scoff at. He’s no hall of famer, but I’m a fan. To see that he’s a family man makes it all the easier.

4. natstowngreg - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM

“who is going to get suckered into signing him to a big contract” isn’t a joke, given the annual desperation many teams experience in filling out their rotations.

If Vazquez takes the path less traveled, passing up more money to spend time with his family, he will be due considerable respect. We shall see if he sticks to that path once the offers come in.

5. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM

You can’t help but respect him for this if he does retire. At the same time, you have to wonder how much of an impact playing in an empty ballpark all season has had on him, even if he’d be playing in a new, mostly full one for a few weeks next season.

6. uuddlrlrbastart - Sep 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I kind of hope he sticks around, if only because he’s only 3-4 years away from 3,000 strikeouts and I think the Hall of Fame debate would be fun, in a Johnny Damon 3,000 hits kind of way.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3361)