Jinx Alert! MLB to premiere its Braves-based “Legends are born in October” commercial tonight

Sep 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

I’m not a superstitious man, but at some point Fate just doesn’t like to be tempted. This, it seems to me, is not just tempting fate, but taunting it:

The Braves won last night, but they’re by no means a lock to win this thing. Especially considering their final six games come against a Nats team that gives them all kinds of hell and the Phillies while the Cards get two more against the Mets and then series against the Cubs and Astros.

And that’s before you acknowledge that while, sure, the Braves have had their postseason moments, the first thing that most people think about when they put the Braves and October together is the failure to fulfill expectations.

And yes, I plan on being totally depressed about all of this until the Braves clinch or are eliminated.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM

It’s only baseball, Craig. Just a game. No biggie. :D

2. echolmberg - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

As much as I agree with the jinx alert and the plan on being totally depressed…. I love seeing the Sid Bream slide. I can’t help but smile every time I see it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Does it leave you breaming with delight?

• bravesman1983 - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Goosebump City, for sure.

• kopy - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

The only thing missing from the video is Ron Gant falling off of first base!

3. halladaysbiceps - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM

14 straight NL East titles (impressive and not matched) and 1 World Series victory to show for it. Sure, the Legends of October. Legends of Choking is more like it.

Greg Maddux was the 2nd greatest pitcher I ever saw in my lifetime (I only put Carlton ahead of him), but he was not a great postseason pitcher.

• brianmoline - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Maddux’s career regular season ERA: 3.16
      Maddux’s career postseason ERA: 3.27

Andy Pettite’s career regular season ERA: 3.88
      Andy Pettite’s career postseason ERA: 3.83

Of course, Pettite is considered a better postseason pitcher because he had a better record and had those potent Yankee offenses helping him out.

• bravesman1983 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM

The truth about your Braves hurts, doesn’t it?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

HB, as far as a 7 year period, I would take Pedro from 1997-2003 over anybody maybe in the history of the game…even Koufax and his great 5 years from 62-66. Maddux had his own 7 years of dominance from 92-98, but I think Pedro’s was slightly better.

As far as Lefty, he was great over a longer period than Pedro, but with regards to Maddux, I think Lefty was just a notch below Maddux. But if I had to have one pitcher’s peak stretch, I would take Pedro’s over anybody of the last 50 years.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I see your point and it’s valid. The only thing I disagree with you is giving the nod to Maddux over Carlton. I saw both pitch and, even though Maddux was great, his stuff wasn’t even close to Carlton. Carlton had a blazing fastball and a slider that was legendary. As you know, stats don’t paint the whole picture.

• Big Ed Robles - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Agree with you both, but I’ll take Randy Johnson from 1999-2002. If I’m allowed to skip a year, I’ll take ’04 as well. Hell, I’ll take ’03 as well if it means I get ’04.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Big Ed…Big Unit had some great years from 99-02 but not in the class of Pedro’s stretch from 97-03…

Unit 99-02 – 2.48 ERA, 188 ERA+ 1.044 WHIP 12.4 K/9, 4.92 K/BB IN THE NL

Pedro 97-03 – 2.20 ERA, 213 ERA+, 0.940 WHIP, 11.3 K/9, 5.59 K/BB IN THE AL

I will go to my grave saying that Pedro Martinez’s 2000 season is the greatest single season of pitching in baseball history. When you consider it is smack dab in the middle of the steroid era, his 1.74 ERA, 291 ERA+, and absolutely sick 0.737 WHIP are insane. And people were up in arms about him not winning the MVP in 1999 but purely based on pitching, while his K’s were slightly less in 2000, his all-around season was about as sick as it gets, especially considering the era in which he was pitching and the fact that he was doing this in the AL facing the DH.

• CJ - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

cepts,

They’re called the “legends of October”, I believe the World Series now stretches in to early November, no? The name seems to suit.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Touché.

• Clinton Manitoba - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM

3 of those years the Braves were in the NL West during the 14 title run. (you should know this since Phils won NL East 1993)

“14 straight NL East titles (impressive and not matched) and 1 World Series victory to show for it”
      I’m guessing you would rather never have loved.
      “It’s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all”

I would imagine most Braves fans would not trade in the streak for losing seasons and no playoffs.

The Phillies are on a streak of their own, should the Braves polish the Legends of Choking trophy for them? I only see one WS title in this run so far, and “the future is murky at best”

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I will say this Clinton…if the Phillies do not win the World Series this year, then the Braves can certainly polish off that trophy for them. If they don’t win one in the next 3 or 4 years, they they would surpass the Braves as choke-artists.

4. Panda Claus - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I’m not sure I’ve ever met a baseball fan that’s not even a little superstitious. Rally Caps, lucky t-shirts and the like just scream out superstition.

5. Kevin S. - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Hey Craig, remember when MLB rolled out that commercial about how red-hot and unstoppable the Reds’ offense was right before their series with Philly last year? The Jinx Alert should be at DefCon 1 right now.

6. Jonny 5 - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Of course it’s a whole “Jinx” thing. Jeez, Guess what their record for the month of September is? 8-12 which equals a .666 losing pct. They waited specifically until their losing pct. was at .666 to release the video (voodoo curse). The powers to be even manipulated the Phills to drop some games vs. the Cards. It’s a conspiracy for sure. There is likely to be some type of blood sacrifice before the game, so be on the look out.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM

J5, you may want to check the math circuit in your CPU…or upgrade the Math Software to version 2.0. 8-12 would be a .400 winning %…meaning it’s a .600 losing %. I know .600 doesn’t equate to anything “voodoo” though so this mistake didn’t fit the theme of the post. Either way, just want to make sure you are keeping up with the latest technology, my robot friend :P

• atlsp - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Pretty sure 8-12 is a .600 losing pct. but don’t let that stop your clever (albeit sarcastic) conspiracy theory.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I should know better than to try to pull off inaccurate percentages on a baseball blog. .600 had nothing, it just didn’t know how to win.

7. Tim OShenko - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I get the feeling that the Sox/Rays and Braves/Cards races going on right now will prove far more exciting than the playoffs themselves. “You can’t script September.”

Orioles turn AL East on its head