Sep 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’m not a superstitious man, but at some point Fate just doesn’t like to be tempted. This, it seems to me, is not just tempting fate, but taunting it:
The Braves won last night, but they’re by no means a lock to win this thing. Especially considering their final six games come against a Nats team that gives them all kinds of hell and the Phillies while the Cards get two more against the Mets and then series against the Cubs and Astros.
And that’s before you acknowledge that while, sure, the Braves have had their postseason moments, the first thing that most people think about when they put the Braves and October together is the failure to fulfill expectations.
And yes, I plan on being totally depressed about all of this until the Braves clinch or are eliminated.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 0
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 78
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 35
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (115)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)