Sep 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’m not a superstitious man, but at some point Fate just doesn’t like to be tempted. This, it seems to me, is not just tempting fate, but taunting it:
The Braves won last night, but they’re by no means a lock to win this thing. Especially considering their final six games come against a Nats team that gives them all kinds of hell and the Phillies while the Cards get two more against the Mets and then series against the Cubs and Astros.
And that’s before you acknowledge that while, sure, the Braves have had their postseason moments, the first thing that most people think about when they put the Braves and October together is the failure to fulfill expectations.
And yes, I plan on being totally depressed about all of this until the Braves clinch or are eliminated.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)