Sep 21, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
C.J. Wilson may be the most desirable starting pitcher on the free agent market this offseason and the Nationals will apparently be among the teams interested in the Rangers left-hander.
Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that “the Nationals have sent a scout to Oakland to watch” Wilson tonight against the A’s and “it’s not a secret that Washington is looking to add starting pitching.”
Wilson logged 204 innings with a 3.35 ERA after talking his way into Texas’ rotation last year and this season he’s upped his strikeouts and cut his walks while throwing 215 innings with a 2.98 ERA.
At age 31 he’s still relatively young for someone hitting the open market and among all pitchers with at least 50 starts since the beginning of last season Wilson ranks 16th in ERA (3.16), sandwiched between fellow southpaws CC Sabathia (3.10) and Jon Lester (3.20), and he’s also 19th in FIP.
Wilson added to the mix along with Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann could give the Nationals a playoff-caliber front three of the rotation, but would it leave enough money to put together a playoff-caliber everything else?
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 1
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 32
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)