Sep 21, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Phil Hughes was scheduled to pitch Game 1 of the Yankees’ doubleheader against the Rays today, but he’s unavailable because of back spasms that have bothered him since last week.
Hector Noesi will get the Game 1 start instead, but he’s been used strictly as a reliever this season and is expected to throw just 50-60 pitches before Joe Girardi turns things over to the bullpen.
Hughes spent more than two months on the disabled list with what the Yankees called shoulder fatigue, but has pitched reasonably well since returning in early July with a 4.67 ERA and 42/20 K/BB ratio in 64 innings, including back-to-back Quality Starts.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 28
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 102
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32