Sep 21, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
We set it up here yesterday. The game went down last night. Columbus beat Omaha 8-3 for the triple-A championship.
Joe Martinez was the MVP after pitching seven strong innings. He’s 28 and has 49.2 major league innings under his belt. He has 820 in the minors while playing in three organizations, mostly the Giants.
Winning a title in the minors, especially for a veteran, has to be weird. I recently got an advanced copy of Dirk Hayhurst’s latest book (the followup to The Bullpen Gospels). It starts with him coming home from winning the double-A title back in 2007. Let’s just say that the jubilation wears off rather quickly.
Sorry to be a downer. I’m happy for the Clippers. It’s just a weird setup when you have an event which we associate with the achievement of a dream — hoisting a championship trophy — accomplished by guys who have a much greater dream in their sights. Not sure how to think about that.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)