Sep 21, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
We set it up here yesterday. The game went down last night. Columbus beat Omaha 8-3 for the triple-A championship.
Joe Martinez was the MVP after pitching seven strong innings. He’s 28 and has 49.2 major league innings under his belt. He has 820 in the minors while playing in three organizations, mostly the Giants.
Winning a title in the minors, especially for a veteran, has to be weird. I recently got an advanced copy of Dirk Hayhurst’s latest book (the followup to The Bullpen Gospels). It starts with him coming home from winning the double-A title back in 2007. Let’s just say that the jubilation wears off rather quickly.
Sorry to be a downer. I’m happy for the Clippers. It’s just a weird setup when you have an event which we associate with the achievement of a dream — hoisting a championship trophy — accomplished by guys who have a much greater dream in their sights. Not sure how to think about that.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)