Sep 21, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
We set it up here yesterday. The game went down last night. Columbus beat Omaha 8-3 for the triple-A championship.
Joe Martinez was the MVP after pitching seven strong innings. He’s 28 and has 49.2 major league innings under his belt. He has 820 in the minors while playing in three organizations, mostly the Giants.
Winning a title in the minors, especially for a veteran, has to be weird. I recently got an advanced copy of Dirk Hayhurst’s latest book (the followup to The Bullpen Gospels). It starts with him coming home from winning the double-A title back in 2007. Let’s just say that the jubilation wears off rather quickly.
Sorry to be a downer. I’m happy for the Clippers. It’s just a weird setup when you have an event which we associate with the achievement of a dream — hoisting a championship trophy — accomplished by guys who have a much greater dream in their sights. Not sure how to think about that.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)