Sep 21, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
We set it up here yesterday. The game went down last night. Columbus beat Omaha 8-3 for the triple-A championship.
Joe Martinez was the MVP after pitching seven strong innings. He’s 28 and has 49.2 major league innings under his belt. He has 820 in the minors while playing in three organizations, mostly the Giants.
Winning a title in the minors, especially for a veteran, has to be weird. I recently got an advanced copy of Dirk Hayhurst’s latest book (the followup to The Bullpen Gospels). It starts with him coming home from winning the double-A title back in 2007. Let’s just say that the jubilation wears off rather quickly.
Sorry to be a downer. I’m happy for the Clippers. It’s just a weird setup when you have an event which we associate with the achievement of a dream — hoisting a championship trophy — accomplished by guys who have a much greater dream in their sights. Not sure how to think about that.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)