Sep 21, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
We set it up here yesterday. The game went down last night. Columbus beat Omaha 8-3 for the triple-A championship.
Joe Martinez was the MVP after pitching seven strong innings. He’s 28 and has 49.2 major league innings under his belt. He has 820 in the minors while playing in three organizations, mostly the Giants.
Winning a title in the minors, especially for a veteran, has to be weird. I recently got an advanced copy of Dirk Hayhurst’s latest book (the followup to The Bullpen Gospels). It starts with him coming home from winning the double-A title back in 2007. Let’s just say that the jubilation wears off rather quickly.
Sorry to be a downer. I’m happy for the Clippers. It’s just a weird setup when you have an event which we associate with the achievement of a dream — hoisting a championship trophy — accomplished by guys who have a much greater dream in their sights. Not sure how to think about that.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 19
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)