The Marlins’ new logo is leaked. We think.

Sep 21, 2011, 8:25 AM EST

Maury Brown found this on a message board yesterday. It purports to be the new Marlins logo, though some have suggested it’s a fake. Others have suggested that it’s a temporary thing just being floated for public feedback, and if it’s mocked it will be disowned by the team. Either way, I assume someone will verify it or debunk it at some point today. Your thoughts?

source:

My thoughts: Everyone will focus on the rainbow color scheme, but I don’t think it’s that big a deal. It’s Florida, the sun is bright, the new ballpark is supposed to have a lot of color going on and it’s all good.  I can’t imagine that they’ll do something similarly rainbowy for their uniforms, because baseball just doesn’t roll like that anymore.  I bet the multi-colors are so that they can sell a broader palate of merchandise that is still in official colors.

The stylized fish is interesting, though. Makes it almost look more like an airline than a baseball team.

1. bobwsc - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

looks like the jai alai Marlins.

• bigleagues - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Does anyone outside of Florida and Miami even know what Jai Alai is?

I grew up in a city that had the only amateur fronton in the northeast – and I got into playing the game a little. I recently found out that there’s a new amateur fronton here in CT, so I may have to visit it soon. Easily one of the toughest games I’ve ever attempted to play. That pelota moves way faster than I could position my cesta to snag it!

For whatever reason I found catching hot shots at 3B a whole lot easier than consistently catching the pelota in a cesta.

• bigleagues - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I know CT and RI used to have fronton’s.

• bobwsc - Sep 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

not sure how many people are exposed to it on a national level, except for the old school intro to Miami Vice, as well as George Costanza’s reference to jai alai when he’s trying to convince his parents to move to FL. “jai alai…you bet on the games……you clean up!”

2. ta192 - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Well, it’s ugly enough to be the real thing…

3. bigleagues - Sep 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I’m stunned.

Uni-Watch.com claims to have confirmed that this is indeed a new logo for the 2012 Marlins. http://www.uni-watch.com/

It will apparently be the new primary logo for the soon to be rebranded Miami Marlins. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6999810

I completely agree with rebranding as the Miami Marlins. Miami is trendier, hipper and aptly takes advantage of alliteration.

HOWEVER (and I once dealt with this issue for a AA franchise rebranding) you do not rebrand very often. So when you do it, you better do it right. And there isn’t much that’s right about this apparently new primary logo.

As I said Miami is known for glamor and fashion. You ABSOLUTELY need a logo that reflects that. Can anyone honestly see D-Wade sporting a cap with that logo on it?! If the Marlins stick to this logo – it’s a major fail.

It’s so bad, I’m seriously wondering if its intended to be a diversion tactic. Apparently we will all know on November 11th.

• bigleagues - Sep 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

ooops, forgot to close bold

4. bigleagues - Sep 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM

And now this . . . Marlins President, David Samson tells CBS2 Miami that the leaked logo is “not accurate”. He apparently wouldn’t offer any comment beyond that.

So I’m going back to my original premise – if the Marlins did leak this – its to keep people off the scent of whatever the actual new logo turns out to be.

5. uuddlrlrbastart - Sep 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM

It looks like the 1980s Mariners uniforms and the 1980s Astros uniforms had a baby. I fully support this.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5578)