Sep 21, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
Helton hasn’t played since last Tuesday. He was given a cortisone shot this week in an effort to expedite his recovery and will continue working out through the end of the regular season, but the Rockies probably aren’t going to risk making the matter worse by letting him back on the playing field.
Helton batted .302/.385/.466 with 14 home runs, 27 doubles and 69 RBI across 491 plate appearances this season. The 38-year-old veteran first baseman is owed $4.9 million next season and $5 million in 2013 via a two-year extension that he signed last March.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 0
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 86
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)