Sep 21, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
Helton hasn’t played since last Tuesday. He was given a cortisone shot this week in an effort to expedite his recovery and will continue working out through the end of the regular season, but the Rockies probably aren’t going to risk making the matter worse by letting him back on the playing field.
Helton batted .302/.385/.466 with 14 home runs, 27 doubles and 69 RBI across 491 plate appearances this season. The 38-year-old veteran first baseman is owed $4.9 million next season and $5 million in 2013 via a two-year extension that he signed last March.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)