Sep 21, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
Helton hasn’t played since last Tuesday. He was given a cortisone shot this week in an effort to expedite his recovery and will continue working out through the end of the regular season, but the Rockies probably aren’t going to risk making the matter worse by letting him back on the playing field.
Helton batted .302/.385/.466 with 14 home runs, 27 doubles and 69 RBI across 491 plate appearances this season. The 38-year-old veteran first baseman is owed $4.9 million next season and $5 million in 2013 via a two-year extension that he signed last March.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)