Tonight will be Michael Pineda’s last start

Sep 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Michael Pineda Getty Images

It’s been several months since people outside of the Pacific Northwest stopped paying attention to the really super rookie year Michael Pineda is having, but know that it has continued just fine.  And after tonight it ends. But it ends with an easy mark: the punchless Minnesota Twins.

It’s been a great year for Pineda. Entering tonight he has a a 3.72 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 171/53 K/BB ratio in 167 innings. He’ll finish with his biggest professional workload ever, but it’s not some dramatic increase and the Mariners seem to be being sensible about it.

After the Twins, the next thing up for Pineda will be the Rookie of the Year voting. He’s a strong candidate, though I think Jeremy Hellickson will get the trophy. Partially, but not completely, because he’s simply on everyone’s radar in the wild card race and during earlier hours in the evening than is Pineda. To be honest, though, a vote for either of them is totally defensible.

1. baseballisboring - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Pineda’s my ROY.

2. girardisbraces - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Am I crazy for wondering why Ivan Nova doesn’t get a large amount of consideration for ROY?

• jwbiii - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

More than 45 days on the major league roster last season. He’s not eligible.

• Big Ed Robles - Sep 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Nova is eligible and is in the consideration. Hellickson, Pineda, Hosmer, Nova and Trumbo are the people that I hear about the most.

• jwbiii - Sep 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM

My bad, Big Ed Robles, you are right. Forty five days on the MLB roster not counting roster expansion time (September). Nova’s 51 days of service time turns into 18. I thought September was only excluded for players who were recalled after rosters were expanded. Nova was recalled on August 21, so I thought his time from September 1 through October 3 counted.

3. bennoj - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Unfortunately, Pineda has to pitch for a team with one of the worst offenses in baseball, and therefore hasn’t won a decision since July. The “pitcher wins DO mean a lot” vote will therefore find him wanting.

• emeraldcityfan - Sep 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Didn’t Felix Hernandez win a Cy Young on a crappy team last year?

4. wlschneider09 - Sep 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Easy mark!! Easy mark??

I’ll have you know my Twins are… well…. trying really hard?

Aw, hell, nevermind.

• wlschneider09 - Sep 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I’ll have you know that Trevor Plouffe is on a two game hit streak. If that doesn’t strike fear in the heart of Pineada……

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4094)