Bryan Stow is talking

Sep 22, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Giants Fan Attacked AP

As time goes on, this is far less of a baseball story, but so many of you have continued to ask and voice concern about Bryan Stow’s condition, that I feel it worthy of providing updates from time to time.

The latest: Stow’s family has posted an update of his condition on their website. And while there are obviously serious health problems that now and likely always will bedevil him, there is one bit of good news: Stow is talking. He was able to name his children and his birth date.

It’s easy to overreact to good news. But that doesn’t make it any less good.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM

There’s really no way to overreact to this news. It is a miracle that he is talking again…let alone saying the names of his children and his birthday. I know having watched my brother in a coma that he never came out of a couple months ago that this is some seriously great news. Good for him and for his family.

• bigleagues - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Chris, I’ve been there too. Lost a HS best friend at 19 to an accidental 30 foot fall in a warehouse. He was in a coma for a week, and there really wasn’t much hope. I’m really sorry to learn of your tragedy.

2. bigleagues - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Poor guy gains consciousness just in time to learn the Giants will not be defending their title. Sometimes life just ain’t fair.

• trevorb06 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I hate how people thumb down some NON HURTFUL sarcasm. Honestly, what’s wrong with this comment. This is good sarcasm, it’s not like he’s poking fun at Stow or his condition.

• bigleagues - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I’ll never learn. Sarcasm – good or bad – often gets lost in the digital translation.

• vikesfansteve - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I’m sure plenty of people have told you two that you are Assholes. No sarcasm needed.

• trevorb06 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I just did a grin and fist pump in my couch to this.

• trevorb06 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM

edit function, this wasn’t meant to be a reply to the comment… it was a reply to craig’s article in which i did a grin and fist pump.

3. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I just said, in a way too loud voice, “Holy S@#$, That’s Awesome!”

Good thing I’m the boss.

4. cur68 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM

That is some good news and I’m glad you continue to update it, Craig. His being able to recognize his own children is a big deal to me and I’m sure even more so to his kids and family. Of all the compelling stories to come out of this season this is the one that I hope has the best ending.

5. cup0pizza - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Very positive. Appreciate the update.

6. yankeesgameday - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I wonder if he has any memory of the attack… Is it possible that someday he is able to finger the guys who did it out of a photo lineup?

7. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Pretty amazing and sad at the same time.

8. Jonny 5 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Jonny 5 I think you just became my favorite commenter. Even if you DO like the Phillies, I still hold fellow Tool fans in high regards. ha ha

Not sure if you are close to the Philly area or not, but one of the many times I have seen them live was at a place called the Tower Theater in 2006 right around the time 10,000 days was released.

Sound wasn’t that great but after seeing them at festivals and in arenas, seeing them in a small quaint venue again was pretty damn cool.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Tool put on one of the best shows I have ever seen live. Also, places like the Tower, the TLA, and Electric factory are the very best places to see a band and I hope they never go away. I never saw Tool play the Tower which would have been awesome. Local to the Philly area?

9. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM

No. I lived in the DC area at the time, but now I live in the south where Tool doesn’t venture :(

Not familiar with the TLA or Electric factory, but I assume they are smaller places like the Tower and it really doesn’t get any better than a place like that.

I saw them back in 93 at a bar in Baltimore called Hammerjacks (great venue for any band) when they opened for a band called Failure. Opening band wasn’t too bad, but Tool played (in a bar!!) and I was hooked from that moment forward. I have lost count in how many times I have seen them (15, 18, ??) but I still think that was one of the most unique experiences of my life.

10. foreverchipper10 - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM