Sep 22, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Thursday that CC Sabathia, who pitched effectively but failed to get his 20th victory Wednesday against the Rays, won’t get another start before the postseason.
With the first game of the ALDS falling nine days after Sabathia’s start Wednesday, there was no good way to have him pitch again during the regular season. The current plan is for him to throw a simulated game Sunday, allowing him to work next Friday on something close to a normal schedule.
As for Phil Hughes, he could get a start against the Rays next week. He said Thursday that his back is improved after Wednesday’s epidural. He’ll throw a bullpen this weekend and could start Tuesday or Wednesday. His performance then will likely dictate whether he’s included on the ALDS roster.
Barring a change of heart from the Yankees, Sabathia will end the season 19-8 with a 3.00 ERA and 230 strikeouts in 237 1/3 innings. It’s the third time in his career that he’s won exactly 19 games. His lone 20-win season came last year. It’s his second-highest strikeout total behind his 2008 mark of 251 K’s for the Indians and Brewers.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)