Davey Johnson wants Stephen Strasburg for season finale

Sep 22, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT

Stephen Strasburg AP

Earlier this week all indications were that Stephen Strasburg‘s final start of 2011 would come Friday against the Braves and the Nationals would not bring him back on normal rest to pitch the season finale on September 28.

However, yesterday manager Davey Johnson told Bill Ladson of MLB.com that he’d like to see Strasburg start the finale “if I don’t get anyone to fight me too hard” among the team’s higher-ups.

Strasburg has been brilliant in three starts since returning from Tommy John surgery, throwing 14 innings with a 1.29 ERA and 11/0 K/BB ratio.

He’s just 12 months removed from going under the knife, so Washington has kept him on a limited pitch count of around 60 for each outing. For now rookie Brad Peacock is penciled in for the Nationals’ final game, so it’ll be interesting to see if Johnson gets his wish.

1. Francisco (FC) - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM

If I were the Braves, I’d try to employ a strategy of fouling off and taking as many pitches as possible to get Strasburg to 60 quickly and out of the way.

• emoser - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:11 PM

And if I were the Nationals I’d tell Strasburg to throw for strikes and the fielders to use two hands when catching the ball.

Any other groundbreaking strategy you would like to discuss?

2. Jonny 5 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I don’t recall a TJ surgery effecting a pitcher’s accuracy so little. He’s hurling batting misery, that’s it. Already.

3. foreverchipper10 - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM

They should skip his start against the Braves to make sure he is rested up for the finale.

4. natstowngreg - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Strasburg could pitch the finale at Football Stadium of Many Names with 4 days’ rest. Seems reasonable, as long as Davey continues to limit his work in each start.

Orioles turn AL East on its head