Sep 22, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
General manager Walt Jocketty said earlier this week that the Reds will exercise their $12 million option on Brandon Phillips for next season and today he revealed that the team’s payroll will rise from the current $80 million mark.
“Our preliminary projections are that we’ll bump it up a little,” Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We’re still working on the end number. But it will be more than it was this year.”
Fay speculates that the “bump” will be to around $85 million, which is why Jocketty replied “probably not” when asked about potentially pursuing big-name free agents. All but 12 teams have a payroll above $85 million this season.
If the Reds pick up their options on Phillips and closer Francisco Cordero that would put them at $68 million in commitments before factoring in arbitration raises and minimum-salaried players, so unless they cut Cordero loose Jocketty will be bargain shopping.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 6
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)