Sep 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Mark Buehrle made his second-to-last start of the season last night, picking up the victory with six innings of two-run ball against the Indians, but before taking the mound the impending free agent talked about his uncertain future.
Buehrle is coming to the end of a four-year, $52 million contract and the 32-year-old southpaw is having a typically solid season, but he hasn’t even decided if he’ll pitch at all in 2012, let alone whether he’ll re-sign with the White Sox:
It all depends on what the White Sox want to do. They spent a lot of money this year, and we didn’t do a good job of getting where we want to get to. It all depends on what they want to do. If they want to go young and sign some young guys and got some guys in the bullpen they want to start, then they’ll go that route. But it’s on them.
As for making possibly his final home start for the White Sox next week, Buehrle told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune: “I’m going out there like I’m coming back next year and not try to make a big deal of it.”
After watching him for the past 12 seasons fans at Comiskey Park may feel differently.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)