Sep 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Mark Buehrle made his second-to-last start of the season last night, picking up the victory with six innings of two-run ball against the Indians, but before taking the mound the impending free agent talked about his uncertain future.
Buehrle is coming to the end of a four-year, $52 million contract and the 32-year-old southpaw is having a typically solid season, but he hasn’t even decided if he’ll pitch at all in 2012, let alone whether he’ll re-sign with the White Sox:
It all depends on what the White Sox want to do. They spent a lot of money this year, and we didn’t do a good job of getting where we want to get to. It all depends on what they want to do. If they want to go young and sign some young guys and got some guys in the bullpen they want to start, then they’ll go that route. But it’s on them.
As for making possibly his final home start for the White Sox next week, Buehrle told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune: “I’m going out there like I’m coming back next year and not try to make a big deal of it.”
After watching him for the past 12 seasons fans at Comiskey Park may feel differently.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)