Sep 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Mark Buehrle made his second-to-last start of the season last night, picking up the victory with six innings of two-run ball against the Indians, but before taking the mound the impending free agent talked about his uncertain future.
Buehrle is coming to the end of a four-year, $52 million contract and the 32-year-old southpaw is having a typically solid season, but he hasn’t even decided if he’ll pitch at all in 2012, let alone whether he’ll re-sign with the White Sox:
It all depends on what the White Sox want to do. They spent a lot of money this year, and we didn’t do a good job of getting where we want to get to. It all depends on what they want to do. If they want to go young and sign some young guys and got some guys in the bullpen they want to start, then they’ll go that route. But it’s on them.
As for making possibly his final home start for the White Sox next week, Buehrle told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune: “I’m going out there like I’m coming back next year and not try to make a big deal of it.”
After watching him for the past 12 seasons fans at Comiskey Park may feel differently.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 15
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 90
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (93)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4