Sep 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
It’s been a crappy year for Jorge Posada. He was demoted, sulked, and mostly just sucked. But he at least now has one nice thing to take away from what may very well be his final season in pinstripes: a little hero moment: Posada came off the bench last night to hit a two-run single, breaking a 2-2 against the Rays and, ultimately, delivering the division title to the Yankees.
Yes the Yankees were going to win the division anyway, even if it didn’t happen last night, but who cares? It was Posada’s hit that will be on the season-in-review video, and it was actually kind of nice to see the guy smile for once. There’s been so little of that lately.
Oh, and he made us smile too when he revealed that he thought it was the ninth inning, not the eighth, when he got that hit:
“I thought it was the bottom of the ninth, to tell the truth,” Posada said. “Then I saw Tex scoring from second base, and I was like, `What’s going on?'”
Nothing, Jorge. Go back to sleep. You’ve done your job here.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)