Sep 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
It’s been a crappy year for Jorge Posada. He was demoted, sulked, and mostly just sucked. But he at least now has one nice thing to take away from what may very well be his final season in pinstripes: a little hero moment: Posada came off the bench last night to hit a two-run single, breaking a 2-2 against the Rays and, ultimately, delivering the division title to the Yankees.
Yes the Yankees were going to win the division anyway, even if it didn’t happen last night, but who cares? It was Posada’s hit that will be on the season-in-review video, and it was actually kind of nice to see the guy smile for once. There’s been so little of that lately.
Oh, and he made us smile too when he revealed that he thought it was the ninth inning, not the eighth, when he got that hit:
“I thought it was the bottom of the ninth, to tell the truth,” Posada said. “Then I saw Tex scoring from second base, and I was like, `What’s going on?'”
Nothing, Jorge. Go back to sleep. You’ve done your job here.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)