Sep 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
It’s been a crappy year for Jorge Posada. He was demoted, sulked, and mostly just sucked. But he at least now has one nice thing to take away from what may very well be his final season in pinstripes: a little hero moment: Posada came off the bench last night to hit a two-run single, breaking a 2-2 against the Rays and, ultimately, delivering the division title to the Yankees.
Yes the Yankees were going to win the division anyway, even if it didn’t happen last night, but who cares? It was Posada’s hit that will be on the season-in-review video, and it was actually kind of nice to see the guy smile for once. There’s been so little of that lately.
Oh, and he made us smile too when he revealed that he thought it was the ninth inning, not the eighth, when he got that hit:
“I thought it was the bottom of the ninth, to tell the truth,” Posada said. “Then I saw Tex scoring from second base, and I was like, `What’s going on?’”
Nothing, Jorge. Go back to sleep. You’ve done your job here.
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 30
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 57
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- Cardinals reportedly making a strong push to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 49
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (102)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)