Sep 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
It’s been a crappy year for Jorge Posada. He was demoted, sulked, and mostly just sucked. But he at least now has one nice thing to take away from what may very well be his final season in pinstripes: a little hero moment: Posada came off the bench last night to hit a two-run single, breaking a 2-2 against the Rays and, ultimately, delivering the division title to the Yankees.
Yes the Yankees were going to win the division anyway, even if it didn’t happen last night, but who cares? It was Posada’s hit that will be on the season-in-review video, and it was actually kind of nice to see the guy smile for once. There’s been so little of that lately.
Oh, and he made us smile too when he revealed that he thought it was the ninth inning, not the eighth, when he got that hit:
“I thought it was the bottom of the ninth, to tell the truth,” Posada said. “Then I saw Tex scoring from second base, and I was like, `What’s going on?'”
Nothing, Jorge. Go back to sleep. You’ve done your job here.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)