Sep 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
It’s been a crappy year for Jorge Posada. He was demoted, sulked, and mostly just sucked. But he at least now has one nice thing to take away from what may very well be his final season in pinstripes: a little hero moment: Posada came off the bench last night to hit a two-run single, breaking a 2-2 against the Rays and, ultimately, delivering the division title to the Yankees.
Yes the Yankees were going to win the division anyway, even if it didn’t happen last night, but who cares? It was Posada’s hit that will be on the season-in-review video, and it was actually kind of nice to see the guy smile for once. There’s been so little of that lately.
Oh, and he made us smile too when he revealed that he thought it was the ninth inning, not the eighth, when he got that hit:
“I thought it was the bottom of the ninth, to tell the truth,” Posada said. “Then I saw Tex scoring from second base, and I was like, `What’s going on?'”
Nothing, Jorge. Go back to sleep. You’ve done your job here.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)