Jorge Posada plays the hero

Sep 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees - Game Two Getty Images

It’s been a crappy year for Jorge Posada. He was demoted, sulked, and mostly just sucked.  But he at least now has one nice thing to take away from what may very well be his final season in pinstripes: a little hero moment: Posada came off the bench last night to hit a two-run single, breaking a 2-2 against the Rays and, ultimately, delivering the division title to the Yankees.

Yes the Yankees were going to win the division anyway, even if it didn’t happen last night, but who cares? It was Posada’s hit that will be on the season-in-review video, and it was actually kind of nice to see the guy smile for once. There’s been so little of that lately.

Oh, and he made us smile too when he revealed that he thought it was the ninth inning, not the eighth, when he got that hit:

“I thought it was the bottom of the ninth, to tell the truth,” Posada said. “Then I saw Tex scoring from second base, and I was like, `What’s going on?’”

Nothing, Jorge. Go back to sleep. You’ve done your job here.

1. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Nice to see your head’s in the game Jorge. Don’t you think revealing your lack of attention is another reason for Girardi to continue to exile you to leftbench?

• hasbeen5 - Sep 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM

At least he didn’t balk because he thought there was a runner on first when in fact there wasn’t, a la Derek Lowe

• missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

WOW what an ourpouring of love for Jorge, the world was shitting all over the guy when he removed himself from the lineup. Bah everyone loves victims, so I take it everyone’s sympathetic towards what the Met fans are gonna have to put up with this month with all the frontrunner Yankee fans rising from the ground they vanished into last October, RIGHT GUYS ;)
      - The Comment Section Heel

2. sdelmonte - Sep 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I thought the big story in the Bronx yesterday was the bullpen by general assembly in the first game. The Yankees used, what, 49 pitchers? Names I hadn’t heard before, as well as gods among men like Mo. Something you can only do in September, and only when you know that CC is starting the second game of the day. But still a very interesting use of the pen.

3. acdc363 - Sep 22, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Jorge also hit a pretty clutch grand slam not too long ago against the same Tampa bay team to help cruise to the win so that makes TWO nice things he did!

4. sparkycon - Sep 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

This is nice. I can’t believe how much Posada bashing has been done this year. Shut up. He’s had a nice career and has been a great Yankee.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM

But one has nothing to do with the other. He’s had a bad year and has been in decline since his otherworldly ’07. He’s complained when things aren’t going his way. Why should he be cut some slack?

• sparkycon - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM

well i’m sure you’ve been an outstanding employee of the church of the outraged. In the last years of your employment there, your performance is not as good as it was. If this is the case i hope you are open to ridicule, and i hope that you know that it wipes away all the good things that you have done for the church over the years. You, because your performace has not been as good the last couple of years, EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE BEEN AN OUTSTANDING EMPLOYEE FOR YEARS, are now a piece of crap.

5. yankeesgameday - Sep 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM

See, this is what I mean about Yankee fans and new Yorkers loving moments from the guys they think of like family, who they identify with personally. Thumbs up if you are a Yankee fan and you got even a little misty when Posada got that hit.

• aleskel - Sep 22, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I think this holds true for all fans – remember that joke about every boy born in the south and the midwest in the 1940s and 1950s being samed Stan? – but with the Yankees below-superstar players who get elevated as well. But that’s what happens when you have 15+ years of continued success.

And yeah, it got awful dusty in my apartment last night.

• aleskel - Sep 22, 2011 at 10:53 AM

that should be “named Stan”

• protectthishouse54 - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM

This article actually made me think of that exact post. It was a great moment for Jorge and the fans. Jorge has gotten several standing ovations this year. Yesterday was another perfect opportunity to show a lifer how much the fans appreciate him.

• dailyrev - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I’m no fan of the Yanx but I do like seeing pros get their due. This guy’s played the game like a pro for a decade and a half with never an its-all-about-me moment in him, until this season when he experienced something that many of us have as we get older: an emotional collision with the aging process. The young ones, maybe including the author of this post, can’t understand that because they don’t know what it’s like to grow old. It has its challenges, you know.

Far as I’m concerned, this guy’s earned every standing O he gets from now to the end of his Yankee career. The media and pundits will continue to slap him harder as the ovations get louder and longer, which should tell you all you need to know about the dissonance between those two groups, the people who write/talk about the game and those who merely love it. When I draw the Venn diagram of them in my mind, there’s a razor-thin slice of intersection between them.

6. DaGooch1979 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I was at the game last night and when Maddon made the move for Gomes with the bases loaded, I thought to myself “Ok Jesus. He’s another chance at redemption.” Then Jorge came out of the dugout and the Stadium was rocking. Meanwhile there was a guy behind me saying “Why are you all cheering for him? Look at his average!” 2 pitches later, Jorge gets the single and the place goes nuts and the rest is history. It felt good to have Jorge come through in a very big way, given the ups and downs this seasons. Hopefully if he gets a chance to get in the game during the playoffs (provided he’s on the roster), he can provide moments like this.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto