Sep 22, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland has already decided his ALDS rotation and won’t consider bringing Justin Verlander back on short rest, even if the Tigers are behind after three games.
“Verlander will pitch Game 1 and Game 5,” Leyland said. “All the second-guessers can come out and say I should pitch him in the fourth game if we’re behind, but that’s not going to happen.”
Leyland didn’t announce the rest of his rotation, but he said that it’s already been settled and that nothing will change based on the Tigers’ opponent and whether they open at home or on the road. That’s a clear indication that Doug Fister will start Game 2, followed by Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello.
Some had previously speculated that the Tigers might go with Scherzer in Game 2 if they started off at home. Scherzer has a 3.66 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP at Comerica Park this year, compared to a 5.23 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP on the road. Last year, he had a 2.99 ERA at home and a 3.99 ERA on the road.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)