Sep 22, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland has already decided his ALDS rotation and won’t consider bringing Justin Verlander back on short rest, even if the Tigers are behind after three games.
“Verlander will pitch Game 1 and Game 5,” Leyland said. “All the second-guessers can come out and say I should pitch him in the fourth game if we’re behind, but that’s not going to happen.”
Leyland didn’t announce the rest of his rotation, but he said that it’s already been settled and that nothing will change based on the Tigers’ opponent and whether they open at home or on the road. That’s a clear indication that Doug Fister will start Game 2, followed by Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello.
Some had previously speculated that the Tigers might go with Scherzer in Game 2 if they started off at home. Scherzer has a 3.66 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP at Comerica Park this year, compared to a 5.23 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP on the road. Last year, he had a 2.99 ERA at home and a 3.99 ERA on the road.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)