Sep 22, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
MLB ruined Manny Ramirez’s plans to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic by pointing out that retiring in April rather than serving a 100-game suspension means he’s banned from participating in all MLB-affiliated leagues.
Instead of just playing in a league that has nothing to do with MLB or actually retiring Ramirez told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he’ll formally request reinstatement and is willing to serve the 100-game suspension in order to return to the big leagues. Seriously:
I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team. I already informed Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process. If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement.
I’ll bet Scott Boras loved getting that call.
There’s no “if” about whether or not any MLB teams want to sign Ramirez. They don’t, particularly since he’s a 39-year-old who hasn’t played since April and would have to sit out the first 100 games next season anyway.
Manny being Manny in Japan has some hilarious possibilities, though.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)