Sep 22, 2011, 4:44 PM EST
MLB ruined Manny Ramirez’s plans to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic by pointing out that retiring in April rather than serving a 100-game suspension means he’s banned from participating in all MLB-affiliated leagues.
Instead of just playing in a league that has nothing to do with MLB or actually retiring Ramirez told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he’ll formally request reinstatement and is willing to serve the 100-game suspension in order to return to the big leagues. Seriously:
I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team. I already informed Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process. If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement.
I’ll bet Scott Boras loved getting that call.
There’s no “if” about whether or not any MLB teams want to sign Ramirez. They don’t, particularly since he’s a 39-year-old who hasn’t played since April and would have to sit out the first 100 games next season anyway.
Manny being Manny in Japan has some hilarious possibilities, though.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (316)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)