Sep 22, 2011, 4:44 PM EST
MLB ruined Manny Ramirez’s plans to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic by pointing out that retiring in April rather than serving a 100-game suspension means he’s banned from participating in all MLB-affiliated leagues.
Instead of just playing in a league that has nothing to do with MLB or actually retiring Ramirez told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he’ll formally request reinstatement and is willing to serve the 100-game suspension in order to return to the big leagues. Seriously:
I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team. I already informed Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process. If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement.
I’ll bet Scott Boras loved getting that call.
There’s no “if” about whether or not any MLB teams want to sign Ramirez. They don’t, particularly since he’s a 39-year-old who hasn’t played since April and would have to sit out the first 100 games next season anyway.
Manny being Manny in Japan has some hilarious possibilities, though.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)