Manny Ramirez wants MLB to reinstate him, may play in Japan

Sep 22, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez, Scott Boras

MLB ruined Manny Ramirez’s plans to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic by pointing out that retiring in April rather than serving a 100-game suspension means he’s banned from participating in all MLB-affiliated leagues.

Instead of just playing in a league that has nothing to do with MLB or actually retiring Ramirez told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he’ll formally request reinstatement and is willing to serve the 100-game suspension in order to return to the big leagues. Seriously:

I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team. I already informed Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process. If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement.

I’ll bet Scott Boras loved getting that call.

There’s no “if” about whether or not any MLB teams want to sign Ramirez. They don’t, particularly since he’s a 39-year-old who hasn’t played since April and would have to sit out the first 100 games next season anyway.

Manny being Manny in Japan has some hilarious possibilities, though.

1. Jonny 5 - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM

“Manny being Manny in Japan has some hilarious possibilities, though.”

They’d demand he perform the Seppuku ritual within days, and whomever hired him as well.

2. dlevalley - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM

That might be the most Manny headline ever. Makes no sense. But makes all the sense in the world.

3. manute - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I’ve wondered this for a while – Why wasn’t Manny advised to serve the suspension? If he didn’t want to play this year, fine, but shouldn’t he have retired *after* the 100 games had passed so his options for next year would remain open? Am I missing something here?…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM

No you aren’t but Manny was…

• Jack Marshall - Sep 22, 2011 at 6:16 PM

No. He’s an idiot.

4. thefalcon123 - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Any teams have any interest in a 40 year old DH available 100 games into the season? He can’t play the field, has a history of steroid issues, is a notorious douchebag that your teammates will hate and he has 1 home run in his last 127 PA’s
    Anyone?……….
    Anyone?………

5. xmatt0926x - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Im guessing Manny finally had time to read his bank statements after he was kicked out and thought “ohh snap!! I aint done playin’!!!!” Ok, maybe he just really loves to play the game but it’s hard not to be cynical in an age where athlete after athlete ends up bankrupt even after earning tens of milions in their career.

• Glenn - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

He made millions in deferred money this year, so I am guessing it is not about the money.

• trevorb06 - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM

He’s not going to be making any more serious coin playing baseball again in his career. He’d be better off doing a pistachio commercial.

6. trevorb06 - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I have a feeling Manny will be taking the 3:10 to Yuma.

7. aceshigh11 - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I suppose if I was in Manny’s situation, I would want to spend as much time away from home as possible, too.

8. SmackSaw - Sep 22, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Are we expected to believe he really made the quote?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4036)