Sep 22, 2011, 12:22 AM EDT
Earlier today, we found out that Manny Ramirez intends to follow through with his plans to play winter ball in his native Dominican Republic. Now we find out it’s probably not going to happen after all.
According to ESPN.com, Ramirez will have to drop his plans because of his suspension for failing a drug test earlier this year. Ramirez opted to retire from MLB rather than serve his 100-game suspension, but because the Dominican winter league is connected to MLB, he will not be allowed to play there.
An MLB official confirmed that since Ramirez has unresolved MLB drug-program violations and the Dominican winter league is affiliated with MLB, commissioner Bud Selig’s office considers him ineligible to play in the league.
According to the report, Ramirez could only play for an independent team unaffiliated with Major League Baseball. Long Island Ducks, anyone?
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)