Sep 22, 2011, 12:22 AM EDT
Earlier today, we found out that Manny Ramirez intends to follow through with his plans to play winter ball in his native Dominican Republic. Now we find out it’s probably not going to happen after all.
According to ESPN.com, Ramirez will have to drop his plans because of his suspension for failing a drug test earlier this year. Ramirez opted to retire from MLB rather than serve his 100-game suspension, but because the Dominican winter league is connected to MLB, he will not be allowed to play there.
An MLB official confirmed that since Ramirez has unresolved MLB drug-program violations and the Dominican winter league is affiliated with MLB, commissioner Bud Selig’s office considers him ineligible to play in the league.
According to the report, Ramirez could only play for an independent team unaffiliated with Major League Baseball. Long Island Ducks, anyone?
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)