The Blue Jays have a new logo too

Sep 22, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

Blue Jays logo

A day after everyone hated on the Marlins allegedly new logo, another logo leak has occurred. This time it’s the Blue Jays, and Paul Lukas of UniWatch has confirmed it’s legit.

I like the return to the old school bird. The splash of red from the maple leaf has always bugged me whenever the Jays have employed it — it’s a color thing, not a Canadian thing — but any chance to remind folks that, hey, they represent a whole country is quite appropriate.

I’d be really surprised if new uniforms went retro too — that old Jays font and the bird in the center of the jersey was cool, but it’s certainly dated — but anything that moves them away from the somewhat aggressively stylized logos and looks they’ve sported the past few years is welcome in my view.

1. kopy - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I like it. All they need to do now is go back to this font: http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=1411

And who would have known Canada trademarked their national maple leaf symbol?

2. jarathen - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM

This is a great way to honor the old logo with a few modern accents. So much better than the black and blue weirdness of the last decade.

3. Spiro Agnew - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM

It looks like a beer label, not necessarily a bad thing

4. Chris K - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM

As a Torontonian/Haligonian, I’m a huge fan of this over the last logo. I still do not see why we don’t move back to the original logo that people associate with success. The Jays had a logo that was classic and never should’ve changed. If we MUST be ‘modern’ and MUST have another merchandise money-grab, I suppose I’m ok with this one…

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I always liked the original logo best. As far as it looking like a beer logo, the Jays were originally owned by Labatts. Once a Belgian company took over Labatts, the bean counters took over and the team went into a decline. The Jays are now controlled by a local company ant are trying to reconnect with what worked in the past.

6. dailyrev - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Imagine the planning, the meetings, the consultants, the endless Powerpoints, the money required to get this done. What if they put some of that Canadian Creativity into fixing/replacing that nightmare turf on their field? Jeez, they might just attract some really good players who will want to stay.

7. aleskel - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:47 AM

now the O’s just need to bring back the cartoon bird and we’ll be all set

• foreverchipper10 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I really want that to happen.

• gostros19 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Or the Astros navy and gold star..then were talkin!

8. bigleagues - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

- Uni-Watch also “confirmed’ that the Marlins leaked logo is legit – then last night David Samson stated that the leaked logo is “not accurate” which, granted, could mean anything – but that logo is so hideous I simply can’t imagine that its being used as the flagship feature of the Marlins re-branding.

– Perhaps the Jays have mocked this up and didn’t like it – but I think it would be interesting to try and incorporate the maple leaf as the tuft of feathers at the top of the blue jay head. Overall, I’ve always liked the Blue Jay and I’m glad to see them return to it.

9. 18thstreet - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The new bird is a zillion times better than the ’80s bird. Looks like an artist drew it.

10. cur68 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I am unmoved by it at this point. If it wins, I will love it, like I love its cousin from 1992,93. If it does what it’s predecessor did then I will remain indifferent.

11. mianfr - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I really, really like this logo, actually.

It’s classy and seems like it has the potential to be a long term kind of a thing.

Their new logo is really like an Independent League level creative malfunction.

12. Francisco (FC) - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM

They basically went with the same original logo. Take a look, aside from sharpening the beak a bit, using slightly darker blue on the underside and a few tweaks it’s basically the same old school bird.

Personally I liked the more recent bird better, it’s edgier, it reminds me of the retro 80’s cartoon Silverhawks. Imagine lasers shooting out of the eyes of that thing. Of course it’s marginalized by the “Jays” word. But if you want something to remind you of the old logo, you could do worse than re-use the recent bird with the old style logo. I mean come on, that bird says he means business… this bird is kind of a “Why can’t we be friends” kind of thing…

• Bill - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I rather think that not being able to imagine lasers coming out of its eyes is a good thing. Why do logos always have to try for intimidation? Most of the best logos and mascots aren’t, in themselves, intimidating at all. Which is paradoxically even more intimidating, because it says “we don’t need a slick, commercial cartoon character to scare you for us. We’ll beat you with pencil drawngs of Bugs Bunny on our backs.”

• cur68 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:00 PM

“pencil drawngs of Bugs Bunny”

That give me a great idea for a serial killer story I’m working on. Thanks Bill . I shall name him after you.

13. missthemexpos - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM

When a team is winning there is lots of love for the uniform, but when a team constantly sucks, then the uniform does not look so appealing and the tinkering begins. Of course there is the Cubs, great uniform, no matter what.

14. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Love the bird and the blue, but the Maple Leaf looks like an infected ear piercing.

• cur68 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I am speechless with rage at you. Also I shall be using that ‘ear infection’ line in a work fiction. I simultaneously shake my fist at you and thank you.

15. deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM

They should all wear the old helmets in the field too- to honor John Olerud.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4710)
  2. M. Kemp (3739)
  3. M. Cabrera (2928)
  4. J. Kang (2789)
  5. J. Upton (2638)
  1. M. Morse (2626)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2319)
  3. A. Rios (2285)