Sep 22, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Well, “freely” may be a relative term — they may not want to spend much money — but nor are they likely to be prohibited from doing do by the bankruptcy court:
The Dodgers’ status as a bankrupt company should not prevent owner Frank McCourt from offering big contracts this winter, according to parties involved in the federal bankruptcy proceedings.
“Whatever happens with the club, it’s in everyone’s interest for the team to be competitive and not compromised in trying to operate,” said Michael Weiner, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Assn., which, as co-chair of the bankruptcy creditors’ committee, represents the interests of every party to whom the Dodgers owe money.
“They’ll be permitted to make whatever decisions they have to make.”
This isn’t a liquidation after all. If they sign some dudes and make a playoff run in 2012, that’s great for the bankruptcy estate, so it makes sense that they should, you know, be allowed to sign some dudes. It’s also a reminder that even though it’s the Dodgers who are in bankruptcy, it’s Frank McCourt and the dumbass way he has set up the Dodgers finances which are the problem here. Not the baseball team.
While a play for one of the big free agent first baseman would be pretty awesome for L.A., more realistic would be talks with Matt Kemp regarding a contract extension. He’s a free agent after 2012, and MVP-caliber center fielders do not grow on trees.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 27
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 100
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 37
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (117)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)