Sep 22, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Well, “freely” may be a relative term — they may not want to spend much money — but nor are they likely to be prohibited from doing do by the bankruptcy court:
The Dodgers’ status as a bankrupt company should not prevent owner Frank McCourt from offering big contracts this winter, according to parties involved in the federal bankruptcy proceedings.
“Whatever happens with the club, it’s in everyone’s interest for the team to be competitive and not compromised in trying to operate,” said Michael Weiner, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Assn., which, as co-chair of the bankruptcy creditors’ committee, represents the interests of every party to whom the Dodgers owe money.
“They’ll be permitted to make whatever decisions they have to make.”
This isn’t a liquidation after all. If they sign some dudes and make a playoff run in 2012, that’s great for the bankruptcy estate, so it makes sense that they should, you know, be allowed to sign some dudes. It’s also a reminder that even though it’s the Dodgers who are in bankruptcy, it’s Frank McCourt and the dumbass way he has set up the Dodgers finances which are the problem here. Not the baseball team.
While a play for one of the big free agent first baseman would be pretty awesome for L.A., more realistic would be talks with Matt Kemp regarding a contract extension. He’s a free agent after 2012, and MVP-caliber center fielders do not grow on trees.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 160
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)