Sep 22, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Word now is that this is not a disciplinary matter. Rather, Nunez is returning to the Dominican Republic to attend to a personal matter of some kind. Either way, it seems his season is over. Here’s hoping the personal matter isn’t too ugly.
2: 59 PM: There are no details yet, but the Marlins have placed pitcher Leo Nunez on the restricted list. He has left the team and has returned to the Dominican Republic, so he’s clearly done for the year.
No word on what happened to cause this, but it’s just the latest round of disciplinary action by the Marlins. As you’ll recall, they demoted Logan Morrison for not playing nice with season ticket holders and — probably — for being outspoken. Mike Cameron was released after an alleged incident on a team flight. Now Nunez.
Not saying the manager is to blame here, but remember when part of the argument in favor of Jack McKeon’s hiring was that he’d run a tight ship and wouldn’t but up with baloney or whatever? I suppose this stuff cuts one of two ways. Either (a) Marlins players have been kind of out of control for a while and we’re hearing about it now because they’re cracking down; or (b) the ship ain’t terribly tight these days.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)