Sep 22, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Word now is that this is not a disciplinary matter. Rather, Nunez is returning to the Dominican Republic to attend to a personal matter of some kind. Either way, it seems his season is over. Here’s hoping the personal matter isn’t too ugly.
2: 59 PM: There are no details yet, but the Marlins have placed pitcher Leo Nunez on the restricted list. He has left the team and has returned to the Dominican Republic, so he’s clearly done for the year.
No word on what happened to cause this, but it’s just the latest round of disciplinary action by the Marlins. As you’ll recall, they demoted Logan Morrison for not playing nice with season ticket holders and — probably — for being outspoken. Mike Cameron was released after an alleged incident on a team flight. Now Nunez.
Not saying the manager is to blame here, but remember when part of the argument in favor of Jack McKeon’s hiring was that he’d run a tight ship and wouldn’t but up with baloney or whatever? I suppose this stuff cuts one of two ways. Either (a) Marlins players have been kind of out of control for a while and we’re hearing about it now because they’re cracking down; or (b) the ship ain’t terribly tight these days.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)