Sep 22, 2011, 2:59 PM EST
UPDATE: Word now is that this is not a disciplinary matter. Rather, Nunez is returning to the Dominican Republic to attend to a personal matter of some kind. Either way, it seems his season is over. Here’s hoping the personal matter isn’t too ugly.
2: 59 PM: There are no details yet, but the Marlins have placed pitcher Leo Nunez on the restricted list. He has left the team and has returned to the Dominican Republic, so he’s clearly done for the year.
No word on what happened to cause this, but it’s just the latest round of disciplinary action by the Marlins. As you’ll recall, they demoted Logan Morrison for not playing nice with season ticket holders and — probably — for being outspoken. Mike Cameron was released after an alleged incident on a team flight. Now Nunez.
Not saying the manager is to blame here, but remember when part of the argument in favor of Jack McKeon’s hiring was that he’d run a tight ship and wouldn’t but up with baloney or whatever? I suppose this stuff cuts one of two ways. Either (a) Marlins players have been kind of out of control for a while and we’re hearing about it now because they’re cracking down; or (b) the ship ain’t terribly tight these days.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)