Sep 22, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Word now is that this is not a disciplinary matter. Rather, Nunez is returning to the Dominican Republic to attend to a personal matter of some kind. Either way, it seems his season is over. Here’s hoping the personal matter isn’t too ugly.
2: 59 PM: There are no details yet, but the Marlins have placed pitcher Leo Nunez on the restricted list. He has left the team and has returned to the Dominican Republic, so he’s clearly done for the year.
No word on what happened to cause this, but it’s just the latest round of disciplinary action by the Marlins. As you’ll recall, they demoted Logan Morrison for not playing nice with season ticket holders and — probably — for being outspoken. Mike Cameron was released after an alleged incident on a team flight. Now Nunez.
Not saying the manager is to blame here, but remember when part of the argument in favor of Jack McKeon’s hiring was that he’d run a tight ship and wouldn’t but up with baloney or whatever? I suppose this stuff cuts one of two ways. Either (a) Marlins players have been kind of out of control for a while and we’re hearing about it now because they’re cracking down; or (b) the ship ain’t terribly tight these days.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)