Sep 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EST
It wasn’t pretty, but the Twins managed to snap their 11-game losing streak with a walk-off win over the Mariners today, as Rene Tosoni went 3-for-4 and delivered the game-winning double after coming into the day with a .164 batting average.
With the win Minnesota improves to 60-95, which means Houston has officially clinched the No. 1 overall pick in next year’s draft. And the Twins will be No. 2 after not picking higher than 14th since 2001, when they selected Joe Mauer first overall.
As for who they’ll be targeting … well, a lot can change between now and June, but Baseball America released their initial ranking of the top 50 prospects available in the 2012 draft.
Generally speaking the draft class is considered underwhelming, particularly in terms of elite talent, but the primary names to track are Stanford right-hander Mark Appel, Arizona State shortstop Deven Marrero, and Florida catcher Mike Zunino.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 230
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (234)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)