Sep 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
It wasn’t pretty, but the Twins managed to snap their 11-game losing streak with a walk-off win over the Mariners today, as Rene Tosoni went 3-for-4 and delivered the game-winning double after coming into the day with a .164 batting average.
With the win Minnesota improves to 60-95, which means Houston has officially clinched the No. 1 overall pick in next year’s draft. And the Twins will be No. 2 after not picking higher than 14th since 2001, when they selected Joe Mauer first overall.
As for who they’ll be targeting … well, a lot can change between now and June, but Baseball America released their initial ranking of the top 50 prospects available in the 2012 draft.
Generally speaking the draft class is considered underwhelming, particularly in terms of elite talent, but the primary names to track are Stanford right-hander Mark Appel, Arizona State shortstop Deven Marrero, and Florida catcher Mike Zunino.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)