Vlad Guerrero wants to play two or three more years

Sep 22, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT

Vladimir Guerrero AP

Vlad Guerrero has been hitting the ball well lately, leading the charge as the Orioles have done a damn fine job of playing spoiler in the American League wild card race.  Also, as Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun points out, he’s three hits behind Julio Franco for the record of most hits for a player from the Dominican Republic.

It’s enough to make the guy want to play a couple more years:

“I feel I can play two or three more years,” he said. “And I just need to work a little harder this offseason when I go to the Dominican and see what happens.”

He’s on a one-year deal with Baltimore. Overall he’s hitting .292/.320/.421 with 13 homers.  The recent surge notwithstanding, it’s hard for anyone to justify giving a guy like that with no defensive value whatsoever a contract.  I’m sure someone will because of the name, the fact that he’s well-liked within the game and the chance, however slight, that he still has a productive year in him.  But it’s certainly not a given.

1. jayaresea - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:45 AM

productive or not, i hope he plays forever. baseball needs players like vladdy. though watching him patrol RF in the world series last year broke my heart a little.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Patrol? You mean flail helplessly…

• jayaresea - Sep 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM

that was the joke

2. randomdigits - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM

The 28 point gap between his BA and OBP tell the story here. His walk rate was never good but it is miserable now.

3. dailyrev - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM

One of the most entertaining players, ever. I have had falling-out-of-chair moments watching this guy’s ABs. He’s obviously productive and in better shape than some players years younger. And, as he demonstrated again yesterday at Fenway, he still has plenty of Clutch Delivery in him. Far as I’m concerned he can play as long as he wants. No matter who he plays for, I’ll still want to watch his never-a–dull-moment ABs.

• Charles Gates - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Vlad will follow up a 4 ball walk to Markakis by swinging at the first pitch he sees, regardless of where it is. The fact that he gophers it into a hit is irrelevant. It’s painful to watch. And any chance that this approach rubs off on young players like Adam Jones is not worth keeping him around.

But, my biggest gripe about McPhail signing Vlad what that it blocked Reimold’s development / talent evaluation. That, in itself, hurt the Os more long term than a sheety SLG and below league averagel OBP skills.

• Charles Gates - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I will say, however, that everything I read says that Vladdy is a great guy around the clubhouse and a very hard worker.

4. againstelegies - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I say come on over to Tampa Bay next year. We could use a .292 hitter.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I love that he wears no batting gloves too…reminds me of the hockey guys who were grandfathered in at the end and didn’t wear helmets. I love Vlad and hope somebody lets him play next year.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, how old-school is that?

I can’t think of anyone else who bats completely barehanded anymore, aside from Posada (and I’m not even sure he still does).

6. jarathen - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I think he’s worth a few more years as a DH. He could chase and reach 3000 hits if he stays reasonably healthy and decent for just a few more seasons.

7. Lukehart80 - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I would also like to play in the big leagues during the next two or three years.

I await the contract offers.

8. Panda Claus - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

At $8M per, there aren’t going to be a lot of offers. That’s his going rate this year. If he wants to prolong his career, he needs to lessen his demands.

9. foreverchipper10 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Every team could use a good impaler.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3395)