Sep 23, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Denard Span rejoined the Twins’ lineup Wednesday after missing most of the past four months with a concussion, but he didn’t play in yesterday’s game and Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that he re-triggered some of the post-concussion symptoms by rear-ending teammate Danny Valencia while driving to the airport.
Span was following Valencia from Target Field to airport and ran into his car in stop and go traffic. Valencia’s fiance was driving. Span and Valencia were able to joke about the accident, but both are dealing with whiplash and headaches.
The story would be pretty funny if Span’s health status and the Twins’ entire season weren’t so depressing, and the fact that Justin Morneau still isn’t right physically 15 months after suffering his own concussion last year only adds to the sadness.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)