Sep 23, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Denard Span rejoined the Twins’ lineup Wednesday after missing most of the past four months with a concussion, but he didn’t play in yesterday’s game and Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that he re-triggered some of the post-concussion symptoms by rear-ending teammate Danny Valencia while driving to the airport.
Span was following Valencia from Target Field to airport and ran into his car in stop and go traffic. Valencia’s fiance was driving. Span and Valencia were able to joke about the accident, but both are dealing with whiplash and headaches.
The story would be pretty funny if Span’s health status and the Twins’ entire season weren’t so depressing, and the fact that Justin Morneau still isn’t right physically 15 months after suffering his own concussion last year only adds to the sadness.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)