Sep 23, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Denard Span rejoined the Twins’ lineup Wednesday after missing most of the past four months with a concussion, but he didn’t play in yesterday’s game and Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that he re-triggered some of the post-concussion symptoms by rear-ending teammate Danny Valencia while driving to the airport.
Span was following Valencia from Target Field to airport and ran into his car in stop and go traffic. Valencia’s fiance was driving. Span and Valencia were able to joke about the accident, but both are dealing with whiplash and headaches.
The story would be pretty funny if Span’s health status and the Twins’ entire season weren’t so depressing, and the fact that Justin Morneau still isn’t right physically 15 months after suffering his own concussion last year only adds to the sadness.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 9
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)