Sep 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
You may want to sit down for this — and I understand if you choose to simply not believe it — but former Tigers ace Denny McLain was arrested at the Canadian border yesterday on an outstanding warrant related to fraud charges stemming from some bit of unseemliness down in Louisiana.
Yeah, I know. I mean, you’d think that after (a) years of crazy gambling; (b) carrying weapons in violation of his probation; (c) having his foot broken after getting it stomped on by a bookie for failing to pay up, which probably cost the Tigers the 1967 pennant; (d) taking a six figure payoff to fly a fugitive out of the country; and (e) spending many years in prison for for drug trafficking, embezzlement, and racketeering arising out of a him and his buddies cleaning out a pension fund from a small meat packing business to the tune of $2.5 million that people would wise up and realize that McLain was a victim of circumstance.
But no. Apparently The Man still has it in for baseball’s last 30-game winner. A shame, really. Especially considering how cool his glasses were back in the day.
If the story of Denny McLain interests you — and really, who doesn’t like train wrecks — check out the fabulously detailed biography of him over at the SABR site by Mark Armour.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)