Sep 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
You may want to sit down for this — and I understand if you choose to simply not believe it — but former Tigers ace Denny McLain was arrested at the Canadian border yesterday on an outstanding warrant related to fraud charges stemming from some bit of unseemliness down in Louisiana.
Yeah, I know. I mean, you’d think that after (a) years of crazy gambling; (b) carrying weapons in violation of his probation; (c) having his foot broken after getting it stomped on by a bookie for failing to pay up, which probably cost the Tigers the 1967 pennant; (d) taking a six figure payoff to fly a fugitive out of the country; and (e) spending many years in prison for for drug trafficking, embezzlement, and racketeering arising out of a him and his buddies cleaning out a pension fund from a small meat packing business to the tune of $2.5 million that people would wise up and realize that McLain was a victim of circumstance.
But no. Apparently The Man still has it in for baseball’s last 30-game winner. A shame, really. Especially considering how cool his glasses were back in the day.
If the story of Denny McLain interests you — and really, who doesn’t like train wrecks — check out the fabulously detailed biography of him over at the SABR site by Mark Armour.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)