Denny McLain arrested on a fraud beef; sun rises in east

Sep 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Denny McLain

You may want to sit down for this — and I understand if you choose to simply not believe it — but former Tigers ace Denny McLain was arrested at the Canadian border yesterday on an outstanding warrant related to fraud charges stemming from some bit of unseemliness down in Louisiana.

Yeah, I know. I mean, you’d think that after (a) years of crazy gambling; (b) carrying weapons in violation of his probation; (c) having his foot broken after getting it stomped on by a bookie for failing to pay up, which probably cost the Tigers the 1967 pennant; (d) taking a six figure payoff to fly a fugitive out of the country; and (e) spending many years in prison for  for drug trafficking, embezzlement, and racketeering arising out of a him and his buddies cleaning out a pension fund from a small meat packing business to the tune of $2.5 million that people would wise up and realize that McLain was a victim of circumstance.

But no. Apparently The Man still has it in for baseball’s last 30-game winner. A shame, really.  Especially considering how cool his glasses were back in the day.

If the story of Denny McLain interests you — and really, who doesn’t like train wrecks — check out the fabulously detailed biography of him over at the SABR site by Mark Armour.

1. Mark Armour - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Unfortunately, my story, however detailed, is yet again out of date. Sigh.

No matter how bad this story gets, I am continually astonished at how much this guy f**ks up. He gets out of jail for the second time, is basically welcomed back in to his celebrity life of autographs and talk shows and the like, making money as easily as ever before, but he is avoiding an arrest warrant for $1500? If you are McLain, don’t you send in the money and perhaps another couple grand on top of that just to make it go away so you can stay out of jail? After all he’s been through, he thinks he can *beat* an arrest warrant? It is really mind-boggling to me.

2. Jonny 5 - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM

3. Detroit Michael - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Topps 1969. I had that baseball card at one time.

Some things never change for Denny.

4. Detroit Michael - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Also, Kevin Costner’s movie The Upside of Anger is a fictionalized account of McClain’s life story for those who want more on this topic.

5. Mark Armour - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM

The photo Craig used is from the 1967 Topps poster insert.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Actually, that’s cropped from his 1965 Topps card. He used the same pic in multiple cards, as did many others at the time.

• Mark Armour - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Aww, dang. Forgetting the names of family members I can deal with, but when I start messing up old baseball card photos I know that the inevitable slide has begun.

7. Mark Armour - Sep 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM

UPDATE: McLain’s lawyer says that the McLain knew nothing about the warrant (issued about a month ago) and it was a business misunderstanding. Stay tuned.

8. corecontrarian - Sep 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I can sympathsize (with his driving plight) anyway. The signs there are terrible and you can easily end up on the Blue Water Bridge to Canada when you don’t want to be which the article from Mark A. says happened. The first time in that area, I inadvertently ended up on the bridge (you can’t turn around like he apparently tried to do) and just came back after spending 10 minutes in Ontario. I told Customs what happened and they had “heard it all before”. Watch yourself in Port Huron, Denny!

9. chew1985 - Sep 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM

To all my fellow baseball card friends above–he sure doesn’t look that healthy now. He looks like he lives in van…down by the river.

10. royalsfaninfargo - Sep 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM

This may be an obvious question, but when do you stop referring to him as the last 30 game winner and use multiple felon instead?

11. The Baseball Idiot - Sep 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM

He can play catch with Art Schlicter.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5346)