Sep 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
You may want to sit down for this — and I understand if you choose to simply not believe it — but former Tigers ace Denny McLain was arrested at the Canadian border yesterday on an outstanding warrant related to fraud charges stemming from some bit of unseemliness down in Louisiana.
Yeah, I know. I mean, you’d think that after (a) years of crazy gambling; (b) carrying weapons in violation of his probation; (c) having his foot broken after getting it stomped on by a bookie for failing to pay up, which probably cost the Tigers the 1967 pennant; (d) taking a six figure payoff to fly a fugitive out of the country; and (e) spending many years in prison for for drug trafficking, embezzlement, and racketeering arising out of a him and his buddies cleaning out a pension fund from a small meat packing business to the tune of $2.5 million that people would wise up and realize that McLain was a victim of circumstance.
But no. Apparently The Man still has it in for baseball’s last 30-game winner. A shame, really. Especially considering how cool his glasses were back in the day.
If the story of Denny McLain interests you — and really, who doesn’t like train wrecks — check out the fabulously detailed biography of him over at the SABR site by Mark Armour.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)