Sep 23, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
Mike Zagurski has posted some excellent numbers in the minors, but the Phillies have been hesitant to give the 28-year-old reliever an extended opportunity and have now traded him to the Diamondbacks for a player to be named later or cash.
Zagurski has appeared in just 12 games for the Phillies during the past two seasons after a 25-game stint with them as a rookie in 2007, but the left-hander has a 2.88 ERA and 145 strikeouts in 116 innings at Triple-A.
Arizona designated Esmerling Vasquez for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Zagurski.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)