Sep 23, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
Mike Zagurski has posted some excellent numbers in the minors, but the Phillies have been hesitant to give the 28-year-old reliever an extended opportunity and have now traded him to the Diamondbacks for a player to be named later or cash.
Zagurski has appeared in just 12 games for the Phillies during the past two seasons after a 25-game stint with them as a rookie in 2007, but the left-hander has a 2.88 ERA and 145 strikeouts in 116 innings at Triple-A.
Arizona designated Esmerling Vasquez for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Zagurski.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 215
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (215)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)