Sep 23, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
The Cardinals’ playoff chances took a serious hit with a heartbreaking loss to the Mets yesterday, but they are about to get a much-needed boost for the home stretch.
After taking batting practice prior to tonight’s game against the Cubs, Matt Holliday told B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest that he expects to return to the starting lineup tomorrow. In fact, it’s possible he could be available to pinch-hit tonight.
Holliday hasn’t played since last Tuesday due to inflammation in his right middle finger. We heard earlier this week that he was “doubtful” to return this season, but he has made rapid progress this week.
While the Cardinals will welcome Holliday back with open arms, Allen Craig has stepped up admirably during his absence. The 27-year-old is batting .381 (8-for-21) with three homers, two doubles and six RBI over his last five games.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 12
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 23
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)