Sep 23, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
The Cardinals’ playoff chances took a serious hit with a heartbreaking loss to the Mets yesterday, but they are about to get a much-needed boost for the home stretch.
After taking batting practice prior to tonight’s game against the Cubs, Matt Holliday told B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest that he expects to return to the starting lineup tomorrow. In fact, it’s possible he could be available to pinch-hit tonight.
Holliday hasn’t played since last Tuesday due to inflammation in his right middle finger. We heard earlier this week that he was “doubtful” to return this season, but he has made rapid progress this week.
While the Cardinals will welcome Holliday back with open arms, Allen Craig has stepped up admirably during his absence. The 27-year-old is batting .381 (8-for-21) with three homers, two doubles and six RBI over his last five games.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (167)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)