Sep 23, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Bobby Abreu struck out four times Wednesday and came into last night hitting just .199 with four homers in 59 games since July 1, but as usual he was in the Angels’ lineup as the No. 3 hitter.
It was the 94th time this season that manager Mike Scioscia has had Abreu in the third spot, which is remarkable for a 37-year-old who’s been awful for going on three months and is hitting just .252 with a .360 slugging percentage overall this season.
Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register asked Scioscia about the decision to stick with Abreu in the lineup and leave him in the middle of the batting order, and the manager replied that “he’s still giving us good at-bats.”
Abreu has long been one of the most patient hitters in the league and his .397 career on-base percentage ranks 10th among active players, but along with the .199 batting average since July 1 he’s also gotten on base at a putrid .281 clip.
If the Angels end up missing the playoffs by a couple games–and right now it looks like they will–the manager’s faith in Abreu will be one of the reasons. And he’ll be back next season after his $9 million option vested.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)