Sep 23, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
According to the Los Angeles Times, MLB on Friday asked a federal bankruptcy judge to order the sale of the Dodgers. Bill Shaikin has the entire rundown.
The Dodgers have been trying to get the court to approve an auction of its television rights, which would presumably provide Frank McCourt with the money necessary to continue running the team. MLB, though, has no intention of approving any such sale of TV rights.
Here’s Shaikin’s take:
The MLB request accelerates the legal confrontation at the heart of the case: Would the bankruptcy court override the rules of Major League Baseball?
A hearing is set Oct. 12. The league asked the judge to act even before the expiration of McCourt’s exclusive window to propose a reorganization plan so the Dodgers could “emerge quickly from bankruptcy under new ownership and with the financial stability necessary to adequately prepare for the 2012 baseball season and beyond.”
MLB’s filing makes no bones about its ultimate goal and states that “Mr. McCourt cannot hide the Dodgers in bankruptcy forever.”
The request for the sale of the Dodgers was just one of two made by the league today. MLB has also asked that the Dodgers’ bankruptcy attorneys be ousted because they represent McCourt’s interests, rather than those of the team.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)