Sep 23, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
According to the Los Angeles Times, MLB on Friday asked a federal bankruptcy judge to order the sale of the Dodgers. Bill Shaikin has the entire rundown.
The Dodgers have been trying to get the court to approve an auction of its television rights, which would presumably provide Frank McCourt with the money necessary to continue running the team. MLB, though, has no intention of approving any such sale of TV rights.
Here’s Shaikin’s take:
The MLB request accelerates the legal confrontation at the heart of the case: Would the bankruptcy court override the rules of Major League Baseball?
A hearing is set Oct. 12. The league asked the judge to act even before the expiration of McCourt’s exclusive window to propose a reorganization plan so the Dodgers could “emerge quickly from bankruptcy under new ownership and with the financial stability necessary to adequately prepare for the 2012 baseball season and beyond.”
MLB’s filing makes no bones about its ultimate goal and states that “Mr. McCourt cannot hide the Dodgers in bankruptcy forever.”
The request for the sale of the Dodgers was just one of two made by the league today. MLB has also asked that the Dodgers’ bankruptcy attorneys be ousted because they represent McCourt’s interests, rather than those of the team.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (95)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)