Sep 23, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
According to the Los Angeles Times, MLB on Friday asked a federal bankruptcy judge to order the sale of the Dodgers. Bill Shaikin has the entire rundown.
The Dodgers have been trying to get the court to approve an auction of its television rights, which would presumably provide Frank McCourt with the money necessary to continue running the team. MLB, though, has no intention of approving any such sale of TV rights.
Here’s Shaikin’s take:
The MLB request accelerates the legal confrontation at the heart of the case: Would the bankruptcy court override the rules of Major League Baseball?
A hearing is set Oct. 12. The league asked the judge to act even before the expiration of McCourt’s exclusive window to propose a reorganization plan so the Dodgers could “emerge quickly from bankruptcy under new ownership and with the financial stability necessary to adequately prepare for the 2012 baseball season and beyond.”
MLB’s filing makes no bones about its ultimate goal and states that “Mr. McCourt cannot hide the Dodgers in bankruptcy forever.”
The request for the sale of the Dodgers was just one of two made by the league today. MLB has also asked that the Dodgers’ bankruptcy attorneys be ousted because they represent McCourt’s interests, rather than those of the team.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)