Sep 23, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
Aaron mentioned this the other day, but last night — in honor of his 84th birthday — Tommy Lasorda was an honorary coach for the Dodgers game against the Giants. In uniform, hanging on the dugout railing and everything.
There was all kinds of good-natured ribbing going on between Lasorda and Dodgers players. Matt Kemp gave him style advice. Don Mattingly delicately implied that you pretty much can’t tell Lasorda anything he doesn’t want to hear. And, best of all, Bruce Bochy suggested that Lasorda actually be allowed to manage the game because Bochy would “outsmart him.”
To which Lasorda replied:
“Tell Bochy I’m in the Hall of Fame.”
No word on whether anyone asked what he thought of Dave Kingman’s performance.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)