Rays lose to Blue Jays, fall 2 1/2 back in AL Wild Card

Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT

David Price AP

The clock is ticking on the Rays.

Unable to solve Brandon Morrow, the Rays lost 5-1 to the Blue Jays tonight to fall 2 1/2 games back of the Red Sox in the AL Wild Card race. Morrow was completely dominant, allowing just two hits over seven shutout innings while walking four and striking out nine. Oddly, he also induced his first double play of the season. According to Brooks Baseball, he got 18 swinging strikes. Good luck with that.

David Price, who was hit in the chest with a comebacker during his last start, surrendered five runs (two earned) on five hits and two walks over six innings. The three unearned runs scored in the third inning, when Price made a pair of costly throwing errors, including one that allowed two runs to cross the plate. The Rays could only muster three hits on the night, all of them singles, and didn’t score their first run until the bottom of the ninth inning.

The Red Sox might be collapsing in historic fashion right now, but with seven losses in their last 11 games, the Rays aren’t exactly playing the part of the 2007 Phillies. The Rays have five games remaining this season while the Red Sox have six more to play.

1. missthemexpos - Sep 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Absolutely amazing that Morrow went more than 170 innings this year before inducing his first double play.And for you stat geeks out there… Has any pitcher ever thrown more innings in a season to accomplish this feat?

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM

urteam: I am a ‘black person’. And a Canadian. You probably don’t want to go down this path of who was worse to ‘my people'; Canadian vs American. You’ll lose. Just like the Rays did. 5 – 1, wasn’t it?

Now, do go to school. Master some basic punctuation and grammar and maybe a sense of not starting fights you can’t win. There’s a good chap.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Damn, MTE, how did I do that? That was an epic fail on the ‘reply’ function. Maybe I should join ‘urteamsux52′ in school, eh? :)

Anyhow, I have no idea how many pitchers have posted that many innings, but it sure was cool to see him have a laugh about it. Nearly had another one in the next inning, too. A usual the iffy D let him down. Not as iffy as Price but coulda been better.

I feared for Longoria’s spleen after taking that heater to the ribs. 95 – 96 mph FB. Could busted him up pretty bad. Sounded like a gong when it hit him. I was pretty glad to see him get up; holy crap, was I worried about that shot.

All in all though, the good guys won, and the Beaver’s are safe from devil rays for another day.

2. urteamsux52 - Sep 23, 2011 at 11:59 PM

stat geek canadian how many country’s throw bananas at black people let alone athletes u inhumane people miss expos no we dont nor care about canada rude people ahhhhhh

• Chris K - Sep 24, 2011 at 12:43 AM

This has GOT to be a troll. Playing into your game, LOTS of countries have done this. Europe is notorious for it as are some parts of Asia. The amount FIFA does to curb racism is pretty prolific.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Yeah, he’s been around a couple of weeks, Chris. Same level of illiterate ranting every time. Don’t get too worked up about it; I think, judging from the level of writing, ‘urteam’ is about 9, maybe 10 years old here. Someone’s mommy left the parental controls unlocked again, eh?

• Utley's Hair - Sep 24, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Hey Seisenta, be careful of fiery satellites plunging into your backyard.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Man! Don’t tell me Rosie O’Donnel got gas again?!

• proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2011 at 6:58 AM

A couple of his comments got deleted in another thread. This was the second time that I am aware of, that his comments were deleted. I am surprised that he has not been banned.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 24, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I was unaware that the entire country threw bananas at Wayne Simmonds—’cause I guess that would make the entire country a bunch of racists, huh? Wait…isn’t Simmonds Canadian? Imagine that…a black Canadian. That’s gotta be some kind of mistake, right? Way to paint an entire country with a single racist brush, troll.

By the way, you do know there is a difference between hockey and baseball, as well as PHT and HBT, right?

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Price is one of my favorite pitchers, but he was his own worst enemy last night. Those 2 errors were very costly. Morrow has been very erratic this season, but his last 2 starts have been terrific. I hope that he will continue to pitch that way next season.

The Rays are in tough today. Ricky Romero has had a magnificent run in the second half of the season.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3067)