Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
The clock is ticking on the Rays.
Unable to solve Brandon Morrow, the Rays lost 5-1 to the Blue Jays tonight to fall 2 1/2 games back of the Red Sox in the AL Wild Card race. Morrow was completely dominant, allowing just two hits over seven shutout innings while walking four and striking out nine. Oddly, he also induced his first double play of the season. According to Brooks Baseball, he got 18 swinging strikes. Good luck with that.
David Price, who was hit in the chest with a comebacker during his last start, surrendered five runs (two earned) on five hits and two walks over six innings. The three unearned runs scored in the third inning, when Price made a pair of costly throwing errors, including one that allowed two runs to cross the plate. The Rays could only muster three hits on the night, all of them singles, and didn’t score their first run until the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Red Sox might be collapsing in historic fashion right now, but with seven losses in their last 11 games, the Rays aren’t exactly playing the part of the 2007 Phillies. The Rays have five games remaining this season while the Red Sox have six more to play.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)