Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
The clock is ticking on the Rays.
Unable to solve Brandon Morrow, the Rays lost 5-1 to the Blue Jays tonight to fall 2 1/2 games back of the Red Sox in the AL Wild Card race. Morrow was completely dominant, allowing just two hits over seven shutout innings while walking four and striking out nine. Oddly, he also induced his first double play of the season. According to Brooks Baseball, he got 18 swinging strikes. Good luck with that.
David Price, who was hit in the chest with a comebacker during his last start, surrendered five runs (two earned) on five hits and two walks over six innings. The three unearned runs scored in the third inning, when Price made a pair of costly throwing errors, including one that allowed two runs to cross the plate. The Rays could only muster three hits on the night, all of them singles, and didn’t score their first run until the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Red Sox might be collapsing in historic fashion right now, but with seven losses in their last 11 games, the Rays aren’t exactly playing the part of the 2007 Phillies. The Rays have five games remaining this season while the Red Sox have six more to play.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)