Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 PM EST
The clock is ticking on the Rays.
Unable to solve Brandon Morrow, the Rays lost 5-1 to the Blue Jays tonight to fall 2 1/2 games back of the Red Sox in the AL Wild Card race. Morrow was completely dominant, allowing just two hits over seven shutout innings while walking four and striking out nine. Oddly, he also induced his first double play of the season. According to Brooks Baseball, he got 18 swinging strikes. Good luck with that.
David Price, who was hit in the chest with a comebacker during his last start, surrendered five runs (two earned) on five hits and two walks over six innings. The three unearned runs scored in the third inning, when Price made a pair of costly throwing errors, including one that allowed two runs to cross the plate. The Rays could only muster three hits on the night, all of them singles, and didn’t score their first run until the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Red Sox might be collapsing in historic fashion right now, but with seven losses in their last 11 games, the Rays aren’t exactly playing the part of the 2007 Phillies. The Rays have five games remaining this season while the Red Sox have six more to play.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (155)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)