Red Sox go with John Lackey for Sunday start in New York

Sep 23, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT

lackey face Getty Images

The thought of starting John Lackey on Sunday against the Yankees scared the Red Sox so much that they reportedly tried to get Chris Capuano from the Mets for some cash, but that didn’t work out and now they’re turning back to Lackey.

Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Lackey will indeed face New York at Yankee Stadium despite getting knocked around for eight runs in his last start and coughing up a total of 97 runs in 125 innings since May 1.

On the other hand, Lackey has already faced the Yankees three times this season and the Red Sox went 2-1 in those games despite his 6.50 ERA. Of course, providing the type of run support Lackey usually needs will be tough against Ivan Nova, who’s allowed more than three runs in a start just once since June.

1. shaggylocks - Sep 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Rays and Angels fans rejoice…

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I take this as “We don’t have a shot at winning a game this series so how much harm can he do?” Or maybe Francona just doesn’t want him near the mound against the O’s again

3. rollinghighwayblues - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I wonder how Lackey feels knowing the Sox tried to get any other pitcher but him to pitch on Sunday, couldn’t do it and now they’re asking him to start? At the end of the day he’s getting $82.5 million, more or less….yeah, I wouldn’t give a shit either.

• bloodysock - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:13 PM

They could have Aceves start. But I guess they need to hold him back to go long relief for all the other starters that have been unable to have quality starts this month.

• rollinghighwayblues - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Talk about a catch-22. Yeah he has great stuff and usually throws up zeros but when the tired and under-performing starters go 3-4 innings, he’s their only saving grace.

4. xmatt0926x - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

He will likely stink as usual, but just think of all those intimidating faces he will make on the mound. After all, he’s a bulldog!!

• pisano - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Yea, he looks like one!

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM

BIG JOHN! BIG BAD JOHN!

6. aceshigh11 - Sep 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Oh, good news!

Ol’ Sit’n’Spit Francoma clearly isn’t even trying anymore.

7. bigleagues - Sep 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

OK, as I have stated previously (as recently as today) I have pretty much sworn off Boston sports radio – mostly because its as cancerous as anything Phillip Morris produces. However, I generally try to get a few reps before and during each series with the Spankees – just so I’m well-versed in the local mostly absurd spew.

Granted the Sawx are drowning and the life raft is drifting further and further away. Granted they are just 5-15 in the month of September and now hold just a 2 Game lead over the Rays with 6 Games to play including 3 against the Yankees . . . in the Bronx starting tonight.

But still . . . in theory the Red Sox still hold all the cards. And following a day off with Lester on the mound tonight no one would really be surprised if the Sox started to right the ship over the last 6 Games.

Well the sublime turned to the surreal today. When I tuned into “The Big Show” on WEEI (the Red Sox radio flagship, mind you) during the 4 PM hour the discussion that was taking place was nothing short pathetic.

CALLER: Well, I think we need to everything possible to make sure we get Ozzie in here next year. Cuz he’d have those guys hustling, running, making plays. We need someone to light a fire because it’s just not working out.

The host, Glenn Ordway, and his guests then spent the next five minutes actually entertaining the notion of firing Francona at the end of the season and what Guillen in Boston would be like.

It really doesn’t get more bizarro than that. Oh but it does . . .

Then the conversation then shifts to Theo and they proceed to discuss why he should be fired. I’m stunned at this point. This is really happening – with the Sawx still in the Wild Card lead and a 3-game series with the Yankees starting tonight.

I’m listening for ten minutes before I realize that Ordway actually offered, as the topic for that hour: Terry or Theo – if one was to go, who would it be? Or both?

It’s not that they can’t talk about it – it’s just the timing is truly pathetic.

Ordway did unearth a quote from Theo from February, when Theo acknowledged that he didn’t have as much pitching depth as he’d like but that he didn’t have many options to work with in order to bolster the staff.

Then Ordway blasts Theo for knowing in February that they were thin on SP depth and not doing anything to fix the problem. The problem with that idiot logic is beyond Millwood, Miller and Bedard – Ordway really doesn’t know what the Sox did or didn’t attempt to do in order to add depth.

But more to the point, I’d be far more concerned with Theo if he DIDN’T acknowledge that they would like to have more SP pitching depth. For decades, right with the exception of Lou Gorman but including Duquette, Sox fans were sold a bill of goods each Spring with regard to the depth of pitching. Theo has always been honest and up front about what he feels the teams strengths and weaknesses are. And for me, that represents a man in control, who knows he’s explored every logical option, and will continue to do so, yet refuses to make panic moves.

If I thought it was time to move past Theo and/or Francona believe me, I’d be stating it loud and proud. But nothing seems more absurd to me – even if they fail to make the play-offs. Now if next season ends in disappointment, then I don’t think there is a choice.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB