Sep 23, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Earlier this week impending free agent Mark Buehrle talked about his uncertain future with the White Sox and how he might even consider retiring at age 32, but yesterday he explained that moving to the National League intrigues him.
Buehrle is from Missouri and for years now there’s been speculation about him eventually ending up with the Cardinals, but his comments to Scott Merkin of MLB.com were about the NL in general:
It’s one of those things where it would be kind of an interesting challenge to switch leagues and see how the National League is. … You look at that part where you face guys that many times, it seems like the advantage switches over to them. Switching leagues where guys haven’t seen you as much, it might favor you.
It’s going to be sit back and see what happens. I’ve never been in this spot, so I don’t know if we are supposed to make calls or waiting for them kind of thing. I’m willing or wanting to play for a couple of more years. Whatever teams are out there, I’ll find a suburban place to live that’s comfortable for my family and go from there.
While not quite the innings eater he once was, Buehrle will likely top 200 innings for the 11th straight season and his ERA, strikeout rate, and strikeout-to-walk ratio this year are all nearly identical to his career numbers, so he should draw plenty of interest from teams looking to add a veteran starter atop the rotation.
St. Louis is one of the few teams that seems set with starters for 2012, as Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Jake Westbrook, Kyle Lohse, and a rehabbing Adam Wainwright are all under contract, but I’m guessing they’d find a way to fit in Buehrle if he wanted to give them a hometown discount.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)